Friday, April 23, 2021

T is for Turnip

 I talked about turnips very recently, but I like them so much, I'm going to post about them again. But it wasn't always like this.

Turnips from last fall's garden.

When I was younger, I did not like turnips at all. They were too bitter for my taste. Same went for turnip greens. My parents occasionally cooked them and I would take my mandatory spoonful which I would choke down with a glass a milk. This was a consistent theme until one time when I was visiting my parents when I was an adult. During that visit, I had turnips from a friend's garden. And they were good! They were sweet with a bit of a peppery taste. Delicious especially with butter. Where had these turnips been all of my life? Those turnips changed everything. Now I eat turnips even when they are bitter. I am willing to do that to find a sweet one just like the one that changed my turnip dislike. Luckily, last fall I grew turnips that were tasty. I know that the flavor has something to do with the temperature and turnips are supposedly sweeter if they have gone through a frost. I got lucky with the weather. 

Turnips are a cruciferous vegetable and in the same family as cabbage, broccoli, and arugla. They are a low calorie food with one cup of cubes having only 36 calories along with 2 grams of fiber. The root is not as nutritious as the top leaves which are high in Vitamins A, C, and K, but still contains them. 

Our favorite way to eat turnips is either boiled with a little butter and salt, or roasted. Both are delicious.

Do you like turnips? Or are you still waiting to find the perfect one like I did?

Oh, BTW, I am still waiting for the magical turnip greens to change me into a turnip green lover.

 




12 comments:

  1. Not a turnip lover. I will probably never find the perfect turnip since I rarely eat them. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents liked turnips and ate them when they were in season. If it weren't for them, I wouldn't have ever found the perfect turnip, either.

      Delete
  2. I actually don't think I've ever tried them which is weird since my diet is at least 80% veggies. I don't ever even recall seeing them at store. I'll have to pay more attention when I go to the farmer's market so I can give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turnips are routinely in the stores here, so I bet when you look, you will find them. They might be a nice change for something different to try. I suggest roasting them for the first time.

      Delete
  3. I cannot say I like turnips. Here in Scotland they are often called “neeps” with “tatties” (potatoes) and neeps a favourite accompaniment to haggis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not had haggis before, but it doesn't always get favorable comments. I can imagine neeps might be a good thing to have with it. :)

      Delete
  4. I am not a big fan of turnips, although I ate the one I grew! I cut it up, leaves and all, and made a curry. I ate it because I grew it. I am not sure if I will grow them, again, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will probably grow them again because they were very easy to grow and they store well.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I like turnips very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you and I are in the minority as far as liking turnips goes.

      Delete
  6. I need to try turnips by the sound of it, but preferably home grown. Mum never cooked them at home when I was a child though they made have been hidden in soup ;)

    https://cassmobfamilyhistory.com/2021/04/23/toffee-tiramisu-and-truffles/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very nice in a soup. That might a good way to start when trying them. As you heard, turnips are not for everyone.

      Delete

What do you think?