Friday, April 16, 2021

N is for Nutrition

Today's offering is a nutrition quiz about vegetables. Below will be pictures of nutrition labels of various vegetables. See if you can guess what the vegetable is from reading the label. There will be a word bank below the labels of possible choices if you want help. Most of these labels are on cans, so the photos are skewed, but I think you can read the information you need to.

I figured out an interesting thing as I was putting this together. Interesting to me, anyway. Nutrition label requirements changed a few years ago. Of note is that the amounts of Vitamin A and Vitamin C are no longer required but can be added if the manufacturer wants to. However, Vitamin D is now required. Some of these vegetables are clearly good sources of Vitamin A and C, but that doesn't show up on the label. That may make guessing a bit more difficult, but go ahead and give it the old college try.  

Number 1


Number 2


 
Number 3


Number 4



Number 5



Number 6



Number 7



Answer choices: beets, green beans, peas, tomatoes, white kidney beans, spinach, yams

Answers:
1. tomatoes
2. yams
3. beet
4. white kidney beans
5. green beans
6. peas
7. spinach

So, how did you do?




13 comments:

  1. 4/7. Is that considered a D minus? I learned that beets are high in iron, which I didn't know before. I love beets--hubby grows them so I don't typically eat canned beets. I had a three-way shift for my answers for beets, green beans, and spinach. I was going for iron content for spinach and the two cans high in iron threw me off. I never eat yams--we sometimes have fresh sweet potatoes here--I wonder if yams might be a more regional food? Kinda like okra?

    This was a fun exercise. Some foods, like spinach, I only eat fresh or frozen, so it's interesting to read the labels, to see the variation in things like sodium levels added to canned foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this quiz will be graded on a scale, so you get an A. :)

      I love beets, but the rest of family doesn't. My husband says they taste like dirt. I tried to convince him it was because he hadn't had fresh ones. However, even we have fresh ones right out of the ground, he still tastes dirt. It's really interesting how everyone's senses can work so differently.

      Delete
  2. I did not even attempt to play even though I read the nutrition labels.
    In the US yams and sweet potatoes are the same thing generally. True yams are African and starchy (less sweet). The canned yams we find in the grocery store are just a softer sweet potato.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got my curiosity up! This was interesting: https://www.thespruceeats.com/sweet-potatoes-vs-yams-1808067

      Delete
    2. I've never worried about learning the difference between yams and sweet potatoes because I don't like either, nor do any of my sisters. I think it's something genetic, but must skip a generation because both of my parents liked sweet potatoes.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm not sure how I would have done myself if I hadn't made up the quiz. The missing vitamin A and C would have thrown me off.

      Delete
  4. That was fun! My daughter and I both took the quiz - I guessed the 1st can (tomatoes), but, only because I could see just a tiny bit of the can label to the side! Daughter guessed can #4 as some type of beans because of the protein content. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a contest similar at work (I used to make up contests for my coworkers) and then I had people create a recipe from the ingredients that they guessed. That was fun, too.

      Delete
  5. I don't like vegetables from a can. The added sugar in number 2 is kind of astounding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally don't like vegetables from a can, but we usually have a few around. The yams have all of the added sugar and normally we wouldn't have gotten them, but we inherited them when someone was cleaning out their pantry.

      Delete
  6. I was so bewildered I didn’t even try to work it out, though we do eat half of the list, just not from tins. Funnily enough Nutrition was one of my N words too.

    https://cassmobfamilyhistory.com/2021/04/16/nutrition-nutmeg-naan-and-nasi-goreng/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been easier if more information had been included, I think.

      Delete

What do you think?