Tuesday, April 13, 2021

K is for Key Lime Pie

Key limes are originally from Asia
not from the FL Keys as I once thought.
However, the FL Keys are famous
 for their Key Lime Pie.
 We celebrated Wally's birthday last weekend. He requested a key lime pie that he wanted to make with me. I wasn't sure if I had ever made one before, but knew that I had had some tasty ones that Aunt Martha had made. She shared that she used this King Arthur recipe which was the one that we followed and is copied below.

Wally and I simplified the recipe by using a ready made graham cracker crust and by not making any garnishes for the top. Wally's not a big cook, but he enjoyed the simple steps to make this delicious pie. He was actually excited by how simple it was and commented that this is something he might make when he needs to take a dish somewhere. 























Note: I cut and pasted this recipe from the King Arthur site and it has some formatting problems. If you are really interested, I suggest you follow the link.

11 comments:

  1. I should try that recipe. I sometimes make this one https://www.averiecooks.com/key-lime-pie-bars/ but your recipe looks just as simple--with a pre-made crust, even more so. Key lime is a great springtime flavor. Did Wally have a good birthday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Wally had a good birthday. He visited for the day and puttered around with us. After his brother got off work, we had a nice family meal on the porch. Wally said the day was just what he wanted. And to top it all off, he got home before the thunderstorms started for the evening.

      Delete
    2. I think we are all more aware of the simple joy of spending time together these days!

      Delete
  2. Who does not love a good key lime pie? I have a theory about remade piecrust. If it is as good as what I can make there is no use in me making one. The graham cracker crusts not only taste as good (well almost) as what I can make but they are so much neater. Keebler crusts win with me every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the crumb crusts very good. The only thing that I do differently if I make them myself is to make them thicker. That's just because I love the cracker, butter, sugar, combo. However, on the rare occasion we make a pie, the crust is often purchased.

      Delete
  3. I must admit I have never made one, but those I have tasted have been delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some recipes that use eggs and are more complicated, but I think I'll stick with this one. It's easy and very tasty.

      Delete
  4. Now I am wanting to make that pie! It sounds delicious and simple to make. We had a lime tree growing in the backyard in my childhood home. Those limes didn't look anything like the limes in the grocery stores here, but, when I first saw a Key lime in the grocery stores here, I recognized it as being the same as the limes from my childhood! :D No limes in my current garden, however. But, I've been known to substitute lemon juice for lime juice, so, I might end up making a lemon pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever seen a key lime in the grocery store.

      A lemon pie is the next thing we want to try. If you try it first, you'll have to let me know how it is. We don't need to have another pie around for a little while, so we'll be waiting for special occasion before we have one.

      Delete
  5. I'm going to make one tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was close enough to just happen to drop by tonight. :)

      Delete

What do you think?