Monday, April 12, 2021

J is for Joost Elffers


And who or what is Joost Elffers you may ask. Joost Elffers is co-author with Saxton Freymann of series of picture books that are illustrated entirely with photographs of fruits and vegetables. They are very clever and imaginative with great pictures.

Joost was born and raised in the Netherlands and later moved to the US. He was a book packager who put together books getting them ready to publish. He worked on several notable books including Tangrams, Secrect Language of Birthdays, and The Power of 48 as well as the food books.

If you haven't seen one of these books before, I recommend you check your local library to find one. They are definitely worth a look.

One of the pages from Fast Food.




One of the pages from How Are You Peeling?




11 comments:

  1. How did I miss those books when my kids were little? My library card expired last week (which means my Libby app isn't working, boo!) so I need to head to the library to get that dealt with. I'll have to see if they have those books there! (it's a small library, so the likelihood isn't great). Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books are older, so sometimes they are hard to find. We're down to two in our library from the several we used to have. Overtime, the books wear out and are removed. These two are looking worse for the wear, so I don't know how long we'll have them, either. Can you request the books from another library if your local library doesn't have them?

      Delete
    2. Yes, we have an interlibrary loan system.

      Delete
  2. I seem to remember the "How are you Peeling?" book - or, perhaps, it was a write up that I saw about the artwork that I am recalling. Very cleverly done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book in the food series, "Play with Your Food", got a lot of publicity when it came out. I don't know if that is what you remember or not. I was not familiar with the books until I saw them in the library.

      Delete
  3. I’m an elementary school librarian and How Are You Peeling? is a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mandy. Thanks for visiting. As an elementary school librarian, you know your kid's books. I work in a public library with kids and am learning them myself.

      Delete
  4. How are you peeling, love that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I think it takes a special talent to do vegetable art.

      Delete

What do you think?