Wednesday, March 3, 2021

A City Walk

Last Friday, Ward said he wanted to get out of the house because he hadn't been outside for a week except to take the trashcan to the curb one morning. I was surprised because I had been out several times to go to work and hadn't noticed that he hadn't gone anywhere.  So he could get out of the house, we took the afternoon off and went exploring in a new-to-us park. We were looking for something with paved paths since anything else would have probably been either icy, muddy, or both. I layered up and survived was warm against the cold wind, but true to form, Ward found it invigorating.

Here are a few pictures from our walk.

We visited Baker Park which is in the middle
 of the small city of Frederick. In case you can't read the sign, 
"Baker Park, Opened June 3, 1927. 
To provide wholesome recreation for the people,
safe, sane amusement for the children,
this park is dedicated to the welfare of the community."

I wonder what "sane amusement" is.

There is a 70' bell tower honoring Joseph Baker who is the park's namesake. 
It has 49 carillon bells and they give concerts on Sunday.


The park also houses a large amphitheater. 


It is mostly known for housing band concerts, but obviously gives a nod to theater.


Adjacent to Baker Park is the linear park that we have visited before.


We saw colorful sculptures...


...as well as the colorful boat display we visited a couple of months ago at night
when they were all lit up. We saw a whole different set of details during the daytime.


And what park visit would be complete without seeing ducks?


8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your walk with us. It's easy for a week to go by without leaving the house during this pandemic, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The number of places that we are willing to go is greatly decreased these days. With warmer weather coming, along with more vaccines, hopefully that will change in the next few months.

      Delete
  2. You and Ward are so good about finding things to do. I got a kick out of the "sane" amusement comment. My family thrives on our questionable sanity. Ha. Is the park currently doing bell carillon concerts? That might be fun if the area isn't too crowded.

    I think this is the trickiest time of year for getting outside. We have many state parks near us, but as you said, they tend to be icy. I have made the mistake of trying to hike them in years past and was fortunate not to have hurt myself. I'm looking into getting some Yaktrax for safety when outside this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked and they are giving bell concerts every Sunday. There is a huge open area around it, so it would easy to social distance especially since you don't have to be close to hear the bells. I've added it to our list of things to do sometime. I'm going to wait for a warm day, however. When they start having concerts at the amphitheater, I want to go to one of them, also. I think that will be a while before that happens, however.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful park visit. I love the pictures of the boats in the canal and I especially love that you survived!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be fun to go back to the park in the spring and summer when there will be more color (and it's warmer). After we got home, I saw that there was a covered bridge in the park. Somehow we missed that, so we'll have
      to go back to find it, also.

      Delete
  4. Wow, that's beautiful. I love those boats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boats were a great discovery this year. They are lighted at night and are very pretty.

      Delete

What do you think?