Friday, April 3, 2020

This and that, Part 2

Yesterday, I started an update on what we've been doing for the last few weeks. I know that I like to hear what others are doing during this non-conventional time, so I'll fill you in on what it looks like at our house.

As you may have read, we are all working from home and that is keeping us busy. Boredom has not set in yet, but the need to be out and about is getting stronger, as the restrictions get tighter and tighter. However, we have found ways to help with that.

Like many other states, Maryland is on strict stay-at-home orders expect for necessary trips for food or medicine. But we've been going out anyway for drives. We don't get out of the car and are exploring places in the neighborhood that we haven't been to before. It is a very pleasant experience as everything is in bloom right now and Ward and I get a little calm, quiet time away from the constant barrage of news of the corona virus. Even when we turn off news and social media, there are frequent comments and discussions from work about it as our organizations are trying to work within the current constraints to offer good services.

Also as usually happens in the spring, neighbors are out in their yards or taking walks. We have been doing the same and are enjoying talking to others (with proper social distancing) as well as getting some fresh air. I have met one new family this way and Ward was able to help someone living alone fix their lawn mower. Our neighborhood is, also, doing the teddy bear in the window thing for kids to look for on walks. Really everyone is enjoying it although sometimes it is hard to see them depending on how the sun is shining on the window. The first bear I put up was too dark and couldn't be seen at all. Now we have a yellow horse/burro in the window. It's fun to listen to kids, as they see it, because we are the only ones who aren't using a teddy bear.

As far as getting out to the stores, we have been out occasionally when needed while practicing the recommended protocols. Earlier in the week, I ordered something from Lowes for pickup in the store. I thought it was going to be a curbside pickup, but it was a bit more complicated than that. Luckily, there was no close contact with anyone else and all was good. Also, we ordered a push mower from Home Depot. Ours bit the dust and we can't figure out how to fix it. Ward has disliked it for years, anyway, and wanted to get a new one. The mower just arrived, so I know what we'll be doing when Ward finishes work.

We have plenty of food and I am enjoying trying to use what we have interesting ways. Last week I learned a new kitchen tip that totally fascinated me. After cooking some chicken breasts in the Instant Pot for pulled chicken sandwiches, the recipe said to use a hand mixer to shred it. It worked like a charm and was much easier than other methods I have used. That was fun!

This is long enough for now. Next up, will be an outdoor update.

Be well and stay safe. Until next time...




6 comments:

  1. I've never heard the tip about using a mixer to shred chicken. Good idea!

    In Michigan, they are discouraging people taking long road trips--I think too many people are doing that are going toward a destination and then not practicing social distancing. There is also talk about some of the state parks closing if people don't follow SD (my new abbreviation!), which would be a major bummer for us, as that's something we all enjoy and can still participate in. With that in mind, I took my kids to a county park this morning (it's another pretty day out with warmer temps and based on what we saw yesterday, the parks will be crowded in the afternoons). We had a really nice hike enhanced by silly conversation (such as ... squirrels are better than humans because .... fill in the blank). We let a group of pleasant but loud-talking people pass us so we could enjoy the bird songs and the tap tap tap of the woodpeckers.

    We live on a main road so I haven't done the teddy bear thing. However, our neighbors across the road put up their inflatable Easter bunny family decorations and I've gotten a kick out of watching cars slow down to see it.

    I wanted to ask if you have had a chance to use Zoom for conferencing for your work and what you think of it. My daughter's band teacher used it earlier this week with the band kids who wanted to participate and I have mixed feelings on it--I've read that there are privacy concerns. Curious to know if you or anyone else has feedback on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one has told us not to go for a drive yet. But they haven't encouraged it like they have for getting out for a walk. We are in the suburbs/country, so we aren't seeing many people or cars when we're out. I think we will keep doing it until there are different orders. We are totally safe as far as keeping away from other people.

      Our parks are still open, but the playgrounds, ball fields, tennis courts, etc., are all closed. At this point, they are encouraging the use of their trails for both mental and physical health reasons.

      As far as Zoom, I haven't used it yet. I am using Teams for meetings at work and Ward is using WebEx. I know the library system is working on setting up Zoom platforms for some virtual programming. However, we have been told to strictly leave it alone until they make sure all of the right settings are in place for privacy and security reasons. I have, also, heard that there are fewer privacy concerns with the purchased version as compared to the free version. I'm guessing that you aren't the only person who is concerned about Zoom and there may be something on a school website about that issue. Quite frankly, I think most people are using it and not worrying about those issues. They are just happy about the connections they are making. However, I think you're right to look into it.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see that you are doing things to get out of the house, occasionally. I have made two drives, so far, to give some needed items to one of my friends - I don't get out of the car, I put the items in the trunk and she takes it from there. Then, we wave at each other through the closed car window! I am able to go out in my garden, but, the only walking I do is up and down my driveway and on the sidewalk in front of my house and my neighbor's. My walking route is a T shape. I don't even walk to the ends of my block. My poor daughter, however, is isolated in her little studio apartment. She is afraid to go down to the lobby or up to the roof garden because of shared hallways, elevators, and so forth. She has no way of knowing if any other tenant in her apartment building might be a carrier, so, she is staying indoors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My older son is in a small apartment, also, but he trying to get out to get a little exercise even if it is just walking around the parking lot. He goes early in the morning before anyone else is around. He says the apartment complex is doing a good job of cleaning the common areas, and he's taking proper precautions. I will assume that that's true.

      We are all in slightly different situations, and have to do what we think is the best for us. The only problem is that official advice or directives seem to be constantly changing. No one's fault, just the way it is.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I don't know what we did before we had the internet to find all of these clever things.

      Delete

What do you think?