Thursday, March 5, 2020

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Recently, I spent the morning with my special needs buddy, Sarah. As always, I enjoyed our time together as she encouraged me to look at things in a new way. We were taking a walk outside when I commented on some emerging daffodil leaves and asked if any were coming up at her house. She said yes, then stooped down and gently stroked the leaves. She commented how soft they were and how the backs were softer than the fronts. I had never taken the time to examine daffodils with my hands, so I was curious. I bent down and stroked the leaves gently just as she had and no surprise, she was right. They were soft.  I'm not exactly sure of the path that my mind took, but I soon started to quietly sing the Mr. Roger's song, "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood."

Since then, that song has been popping in and out of my mind as I see more and more signs of spring. Here are just a few of them.

The ornamental pear tree has tiny buds on it.


The snowdrop buds have bloomed.


As has the helebore.


I hear more birds singing.


I dug in the dirt when we planted our apple tree. Eventually, we hope this replaces the old apple trees we have now. If we can keep the deer away until we get a cage around it, we'll be good to go.


And the sign of spring that I wait for the most every year, our first crocuses have bloomed.



8 comments:

  1. I am excited for spring to be here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. In fact, I don't know anyone who is not excited for spring to come.

      Delete
  2. Sarah has such fun observations! I've never noticed that about daffodils, either.

    That reminds me--a woman in our church is an avid gardener and when my daughter was little and struggling with shyness, this sweet lady would periodically bring plants in to give to my daughter. The first one she brought was a lamb's ear--the lady brought it because she knew my daughter loves animals, so her plant gifts were based on animals names (she also brought her hens and chicks .... you get the idea). Anyway, my daughter absolutely loved the texture of the lamb's ears and can still identify them when we are out and about. I love watching different generations interact and seeing the benefit they have from doing so. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a special lady that was who was trying to make you daughter more comfortable. I love the idea that she had an animal theme to her plants. When I have a little more time, I think it would be fun to plant a garden like that. In the meantime, I will mention it to Sarah's mother. They always do a garden together and Sarah loves all animals.

      Delete
  3. Your friend Sarah is so observant! It certainly looks like spring is coming to your neighborhood! The flowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah is really tuned into nature and has shown me many new things over the years.

      Delete
  4. Your photos are beautiful and I am glad you have Sarah in your life. I'm sure that is as good for you as it is for her. If you haven't read the biography about Fred Rogers by Maxwell King, I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As with any good relationship, Sarah and I, both, have things to offer each other.

      There are lot of things out on Fred Rogers these days. Thanks for the recommendation to help me narrow down the options.

      Delete

What do you think?