Sunday, September 22, 2019

Thankful Sunday, September 22, 2019

I am thankful for good endings.

Several days ago Ward and I were driving along a busy highway when we saw a truck rush through the light in front of us. It looked like something fell out of the side of the truck, but we weren't sure until the truck cleared the intersection and we stopped for the light. Then we saw a stunned golden retriever puppy standing in the middle of the intersection. We didn't believe it, but we had seen a dog fall out of that truck.

Image result for golden retriever puppy pictures
Representative picture from
thehappypuppysite.com
Luckily the traffic had stopped going the other direction, so I got out and led the puppy off the highway. He seemed to be okay and we knew soon that that was true when he wanted to play just like puppies do. I kept him on the side of the road in sight so the owners could see us when they came back. Ward went into a nearby parking lot and then helped me look for any identifying information on the collar the dog was wearing. There was none to be found.


After what seemed to be a very long time (although time can play tricks on you when your adrenaline is rushing), the pickup returned and a young woman got out. She was visibly shaken and very happy to see her dog. She said something about they thought they had the childproof lock on, but maybe not, and the dog stepped on the control and fell out. She also said something about a disagreement she had with her dad, who had been driving, about the best way to travel with the puppy. But mostly she was happy to see her dog in one piece. And so was I.

So for a good ending to what might have been a very bad situation, I am very thankful.


8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I'm glad you were there to help and I'm glad the puppy was ok. Scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a while for me to clear the image of the puppy standing in the middle of the road every time I closed my eyes. I have been telling people this story as a caution to be as careful with your pets in the car as you are with your kids.

      Delete
  2. I love this story! I am so glad you saw the puppy fall and were able to rescue him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness that story had such a happy ending! That was very kind and considerate of you to rescue the puppy and keep it until the young woman was able to claim it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it was kind and considerate, but I think it was for me, also. There was no way I could stand to watch that dog get hurt.

      Delete
  4. Thank goodness you were there to watch out for that puppy til the owners came back. Thank you for doing that! My adrenaline would be going full on too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my adrenaline was going for a while. I was angry at the owners, but I think they were just as upset as I was and will be careful in the future.

      Delete

What do you think?