Saturday, September 28, 2019

Let the Adventure Begin, Day One, September 27, 2019

or My Trip Across the Mountains

For years now, I have traveled across the Allegheny Mountains to visit my parents. Whether it was flying in from the Gulf Coast and then crossing the hills or traveling from our home in Maryland, we've had a long, focused drive to get there. There was beautiful scenery and interesting things to see and do along the way, but because spending time with my parents was always more important than taking time out to see the sights we pressed forward without much stopping. But this year is different. With no more on our agenda than a family reunion on Saturday, Ward and I are going to traverse the state and see some of those things we have wanted to see for years now. And maybe find somethings to see that we didn't know about.


Day One, Friday, September 27, 2019

The first part of our trip was the same as always as we traversed Maryland on our way to West Virginia. We were armed with a full tank of gas, snacks, and sandwiches for lunch, so we wouldn't have to stop along the way if we didn't want to. However, I ate my sandwich before we even made it 10 miles from home.  What can I say? The excitement of the trip made me hungry. :)

Here are a few things we saw.


We entered West Virginia about half way through our five hour trip. Soon after this, we stopped at a welcome center to pick up brochures on some of the areas we plan to visit.


Next stop was Morgantown, West Virginia, to see the statue of Don Knotts. Don grew up in Morgantown and went to West Virginia University, which is also my alma mater. Since we visited the statue of Andy Griffith in North Carolina, I wanted to see this one too. In case you haven't guessed, I am a big fan of the Andy Griffith show.


The destination for the beginning of the trip was Parkersburg, WV. I have a lot of family history here and it is the location of my family reunion tomorrow.


One of the things I've always wanted to see is Blennerhasset Island--an island in the middle of the Ohio River near Parkersburg. To get to the island we took a 20 minute ride on a stern wheeler boat.


The captain let me "steer" the boat along the way.


In the late 1700's, the Blennerhasset family immigrated from Ireland and built a mansion on the island. The mansion was visited by many influential people including Aaron Burr.  Burr and Harman Blennerhasset, and others were allegedly plotting to set up an empire in the southwest. Thomas Jefferson accused Burr of treason and then the accused were on the run. After capture, trial and acquittal, Blennerhasset never returned to the island and the house burned down in 1811. In the 1980's using archaeological digs and detailed records from the time, the mansion was reconstructed and the area made into a state park.

That evening we had dinner with friends. There was a lot of talk and laughter as only old friends can do.

Until next time...


11 comments:

  1. Looks like perfect weather. Hope you had the same for the reunion. Great photos of what looks like fun things to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather was good in some respects with no rain and okay in the shade. However, in the sun, it was hot with temperatures in the mid 90's. The ride on the upper deck of the boat was very intense. However, my time with the captain was nice and cool. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this trip, live and learn. I've seen very little of this part of the country, so I'll visit vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon we'll be going into the mountains for a change a scenery. The mountains in the east are much older, geolocically speaking, than the ones in the weat and look quite different. If you have time, drop by again to see more.

      Delete
  3. Oh, how pretty! Look at you, steering a boat. You have so many skills. :) I think yours is the best kind of vacation--having time to discover fun things along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm very talented in many ways. :)

      I agree that it's fun to explore things along the way.

      Delete
  4. This looks like fun! There is a lot to see in this country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many things to see, both and small. We live in an incredible place.

      Delete
  5. Ha, ha, I hope you stopped for lunch somewhere, after all! I do the same when I travel - pack a lunch and then, eat it before I even leave the city limits! :D How lovely to be able to steer the boat! Like Kris said above, you have many skills! Thank you for sharing your trip with us. I am seeing a part of the country I've only heard about, but, not seen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid that already I've had PLENTY to eat on this vacation. Some of it good for me, but a lot of it not. Oh, well.

      Delete
  6. What fun, steering that boat! How did you wrangle that? I have almost given up on packing lunches because I always eat them too soon, but have found that taking a cooler with lunch stuff in it works better-- when you have to stop and make the sandwich, it's easier to delay eating it. Of course we then end up snacking too much until it's time for lunch, so it doesn't really help.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?