Thursday, September 27, 2018

The Ebb and Flow of Blogging

I've been blogging for over seven years now and it seems like just yesterday when I started. And sometimes, it seems like forever. When I started, I wasn't even sure what a blog was, but was I encouraged by a friend to give it a try. I had all kinds of stories kicking around in my head that I wanted to tell. However, I soon found out that most of these were not my stories to tell because I needed to respect the privacy of those around me. So I experimented until I found a comfortable rhythm. 

There were periods when I posted every day and usually there were no more than a couple days that went by without a post. It wasn't until recently that the frequency of my posts dropped of markedly. Even then, the longest I have gone without posting is two weeks. I find that pretty remarkable for someone who has never embraced writing. I was the person who managed to get out of college with only one English class and avoided classes with a lot of papers like the plague. However I found out with this blog, that although I thought I don't like to write, I do like to share my thoughts with others.

During my time as a blogger, I have made many friends. That's been the unexpected benefit to this experience. However, overtime, I have gone through at least four sets of blog friends. People whose blogs I read and people who read and commented on my blog. It was interesting as we shared our experiences and got to know each other. But life changes for everyone, and blogs and blog friends came and went. 

So I find myself in an ebb of blogging right now. Most of my current friends only post occasionally and I find myself doing the same thing. Part of the reason for this is I only have so much mental energy. As simple (and mistake riddled) as my posts seem, they take an effort to compose. And the energy to do this is taken up with other things.

So what does all of this mean? I don't know. Part of me is just tired and bored with the whole thing and feels like I've said everything I have to say. Another part of me wants to jump in to revamp things and create new content. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Until next time...


8 comments:

  1. I consider you a good friend (not just a "blog friend") and I have enjoyed getting to know you and others through your blog. I have noticed that for those who treat their blog more as a business, there seems to be more consistency in regular posting, whereas those who do it more for the enjoyment of the experience have what you refer to as ebb and flow. Both are fine! I selfishly hope you continue to blog ... however .... life changes and we have to change with it. Take the time you need to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often said that I'm glad that I don't need the extra revenue from this blog or I'd be in trouble. But then again, if this were a business, I would be much more serious about it.

      Friends are the best whether you have met them in person or not. I consider myself lucky to find ones here that I would have never come in contact with if it were not for this blog.

      Delete
  2. I sincerely hope you don’t quit blogging I enjoy your posts but I am right there with you people sting very seldom. Life is swallowing me at the moment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you totally understand about other things in your life sapping your energy and don't leave much time for blogging. Hope it calms down for everyone soon.

      Delete
  3. I, too, hope you won't stop blogging. I've enjoyed reading your blog posts. They have always been well thought out and very well written. Quite unlike my own, "here's what I did today" posts! But, you are going through a period of mourning for the loss of your mother and, I remember that when I lost my mother, I went through a very emotional time when I re-examined everything I was doing to find relevance. I wish you well, whatever you decide to do. Take care and be gentle with yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless. I think we sometimes forget how much emotions take out of you even if they aren't in the forefront. Even without considering the major change in my life there are a million and one details to attend to. However, I've got to remember to be in the present. A hard thing for me to do, but I'm working on it.

      Delete
  4. I consider you to be one of my very best blogging buddies - and honestly, that's really the only thing that's keeping me in the blogosphere these days. Maybe I'm bored, or maybe I've just reached the point in life where I'm tired of listening to (or reading) my own thoughts. I dunno… I mean, there's something that feels good about expressing oneself, but sometimes I wonder if it's all just an exercise in self-importance. Of course, I never feel that way about other people's posts, so perhaps I'm just too hard on myself. Well anyway, I always enjoy your posts as well as your comments on my blog. I sorta see it all as a big excuse to keep in touch with my buddies, and it feels like a much more meaningful way to reach out to other people than the weirdness that runs rampant in other social media settings - which all too often seem like nothing more than a place to vent random rage and self righteous indignation.

    I guess that's a long-winded way of saying that I hope you don't go away because I'd miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so interesting to hear others perspectives. I have never thought about this as an exercise in self importance. Blogging for me, gives me a creative challenge, among other things. Mostly, what am I going to post about. The A-Z challenge really forces this, and despite the headache of the whole thing, I do some of my best posts when forced to produce then. And the other benefit from blogging is what we've all talked about--the friendships formed.

      I hope you keep blogging, also. We both should spend a month writing about the "boring, self-important" things in our life and see if they really seem that way when they get on "paper". You go first. :)

      Delete

What do you think?