Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Transplant



Recently, a friend from high school, Christy, contacted me because she needs a kidney transplant and she is searching far and wide to find a donor. She doesn't expect me to be a donor, but would like me to help spread the word that there are 100,000 people waiting for a kidney including her. While this is a very serious situation, it is a situation with hope. She can lead a full life with a transplant and can buy time with dialysis.

Christy and I at Girl Scout Camp
However, this news is affecting me harder than I would have predicted. When I think about it consciously, I have high hopes and expect it to work out. However, I find thoughts of Christy sneaking up on me every time I turn around. When I'm doing something mindless, I find I am thinking of her. When I am sleeping, my dreams are filled with her. In fact, when my mind is not actively engaged, she is there.

I've been trying to figure out why I am so preoccupied with this. Besides the obvious reason of someone I know being seriously ill, I think it reminds me of my own mortality in an unbelievable way. I was trying to remember and I don't think I have seen Christy in person since high school. Even though I know that was 40 years ago, that is where I go when I think of her. We're leading a cheer or playing Dizzy Gillespie in jazz band. Or we're in 5th grade, giggling at a sleepover. And when you're young, you have a very hard time imagining that you aren't immortal.

So when I heard about her illness, I think part of my brain can't believe that it's true. Things like this  don't happen to kids. But she's not a kid and it's true.

While I'm still processing all of this, here is part of her email that I said I would share. Thanks for reading.
______________________________________________________________________________

 " Some of you may know that I have a kidney disease. About ten years ago, I was diagnosed with a chronic kidney disease called IGA Nephropathy. My immune system has been working overtime at the expense of my kidneys. I have luckily been able to keep it stable with regular medication and checkups. Over time however, my kidney disease has gotten worse. In the past six months, my numbers have spiked to a level that is causing my kidneys to not operate well enough to keep me alive. This is what I am facing now, and my treatment options are limited to dialysis treatments or a kidney transplant. Getting regular dialysis treatments, usually three times a week for four hours at a time, will help my kidneys do their job and keep me alive, but a transplant would offer me more freedom and the ability to live a longer, healthier, more normal life. A transplant would also give me more time to do the fun things I enjoy most, like spending time with my family and friends as well as to remain working and at my regular activity level. However, finding a kidney for a transplant is not easy. Just ask the 100,000+ people on the waiting list for a deceased donor kidney like me. 

         Asking a family member or a friend to consider donating a kidney to me is difficult for me, but it greatly improves my chances of getting a transplant. A living kidney donation typically lasts longer and has better function. You might not know a lot about living donation - I know I didn’t before kidney disease affected my life. Understandably, some people are afraid about the surgery and what living with one kidney will mean for them. Here’s some basic information about kidney donation: You only need one kidney to live a healthy, long life.

•  Most donor surgery is done laparoscopically, meaning through tiny incisions. The recuperation period is usually fairly quick, generally two weeks.

•  The cost of your evaluation and surgery will be covered by my insurance. The hospital can give you extensive information on this.

•  You will have a separate team of healthcare professionals to evaluate you as a living donor. Their job is to help you understand the risks and benefits and look out for YOUR best interests. 

•  You can also learn more about living donation on the National Kidney Foundation (NKF) website: www.kidney.org/livingdonation or by contacting the NKF’s free, confidential helpline at 855.NKF.CARES (855.653.2273) or nkfcares@kidney.org. If you want to talk to someone who’s already donated a kidney, NKF can also help.

         Thank you for taking the time to read my story.  If donating a kidney to me is something you would like to consider, I would be happy to tell you more and explore the process of determining if you are a match for me.  You can also contact my transplant center directly at 804-289-4941. However, I know living donation may not be right for everyone — but you can still help! Consider being an organ donor after death and also, help me by sharing my story with everyone you know. Please feel free to forward this message along to your own contacts and help me spread the word. At the very least I want to bring awareness to kidney disease and living donation. I am hopeful my efforts will help me receive a kidney sooner and encourage others to consider helping the many people on the wait list.

          I have a meeting next week with the transplant center to get more information and will keep you updated. My goal is to hopefully find a living kidney donor before I have to go on dialysis. My doctor is working aggressively to get me set up to be ready to go when that person comes forward. Prayers are much appreciated and I hold fast to the belief that God will provide and that there is someone, somewhere out there with a kidney and generous heart who can help change my life. Thankfully I feel good at this time and look forward to the summer break!

Thank you and much love,

Christy"





6 comments:

  1. It is odd how something happening to one of our peers affects us. Recently a guy I dated briefly when I was 17 died. He was a great guy and we remained friendly throughout the years. After I heard of his passing I thought of him almost constantly for a few days. I am sure it was because I was glimpsing my own mortality through him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you had the same reaction I did. I guess it is just a natural response.

      Delete
  2. I hope your friend finds a compatible donor and soon. Yes, it is very sobering to come face to face with our own mortality. You think of all the things you've meant to do and haven't! You think about what you will leave behind. You plead with the universe for more time to be there for your loved ones. I, too, have the beginnings of kidney disease, due to high blood pressure and diabetes. It's one of the things that's being monitored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, Bless, you've had to face mortality more than many of us. Keep your blood pressure and diabetes under control because we want you around for a long, long time.

      Delete
  3. That is terribly sad, to make a plea for her life like that, and if you knew her, even once, that would be hard to get from one's mind. I would think of her too as a child, if that's the only time you knew her in person in life. Many of people I knew are dead now, dying horribly of various diseases and accidents and I think when is it my turn, and how awful will it be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully when it's our time to go, it will be a peaceful experience that we will be ready for. However, I'm not ready yet.

      Delete

What do you think?