Friday, April 26, 2013

Food Waste Friday and True Food Confessions--Apr. 26, 2013

It's time for Food Waste Friday, when the Frugalgirl encourages us to post pictures from the previous week of wasted food from our household. This accountability hopefully will help us to be more careful with our food and maybe save some money. Also, I am using this public forum to encourage us to eat out less which includes better meal planning. You can follow how we are doing in this endeavor by reading True Food Confessions.


This Week's Food Waste
None Found 

This Week's True Food Confessions
A sampling of a few things we had this week.
 
We had a pretty good week. We ate mostly at home except for the night that I went out with friends and Wally and Ward had Chinese. Also, we didn't get a chance to try a new recipe this week, but we did try a couple of new products that you will see below. Both were a hit and will be on the menu again. 

 
Now, I'm leaving on a jet plane tomorrow and my bags aren't packed and I'm not ready to go. (Does anyone get the Peter, Paul, and Mary reference?) Better get busy.
Until next time... 
But wait, there's more
How many misspelled words and omitted words can you find in this post? The first person to find more than I just found when I read it, will get a special shout out.
 


16 comments:

  1. Congratulations on zero waste :) You're really getting good at it now. The quinoa looks nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had much time to go grocery shopping. That helps with the no waste goal.

      Delete
  2. Ha! No shout out necessary. :-)

    Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think that I should never reread posts because it just drives me crazy.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It's nice to be able to write that I have no waste.

      Delete
  4. Good job on no waste! I need to climb back onto the zero/low food waste bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I bet we see you on the no waste side next week.

      Delete
  5. Have a great trip, live and learn!

    I've made a pilaf before that is both savory and sweet, with onions and carrots, plus dried fruit. Very yummy! I
    ll have to see if I can find that recipe again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally don't like to mix savory and sweet too much. However, this mix seemed to get it just right. Enjoy your pilaf. I look forward to hearing about it.

      Delete
  6. Great work on no waste! I like quinoa too but it made the news in quite a big way over here during the Easter hols - demand from richer countries is pushing up prices where it's grown so that locals can no longer afford to buy it...check this link - http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/ethical-eat-quinoa-article-1.1245075

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The article you referred me to wouldn't come up. However, I did read a couple more about the same subject. Then I had a lively discussion about several of the things brought up from both an economical point of view and and ethical one. The conclusion was that we didn't need to stop eating quinoa. Market forces would probably take care of the price problem and different local farming and distribution practices could also help. I was disappointed the articles I read were alarmist and were not accurate in a some places. That made me take everything else they said with a grain of salt.

      Thanks for calling my attention to this issue. Although it has been discussed over here, it sounds like it didn't get the same amount of press as you saw. Nothing is every simple, is it?

      Delete
  7. So kiss me and smile for me, tell me that you'll wait for me, hold me like you'll never let me go.... Not sure if anybody else got it, but this former folk music school director sure did! And BTW, Peter, Paul and Mary may have had the big hit with it, but it was written by my childhood hero, John Denver.

    And no... I didn't notice any typos... but for a dyslexic like me that's sort of a trick question!

    Anyhow, congratulations on your no waste week and have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Denver. Lot's of great memories with him also. Now, I'll be singing his songs all day. And that's a good thing.

      Delete
  8. I spent the whole of last weekend singing this song. Seeing as I couldn't remember more than the lyrics of first line (until I read Cat's comment), there was a lot of improvisation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I improvise lyrics all of the time. It drives my sister crazy.

      Delete

What do you think?