Friday, August 10, 2012

Food Waste Friday and True Food Confessions--August 10, 2012

It's time for Food Waste Friday, when the Frugalgirl encourages us to post pictures from the previous week of wasted food from our household. This accountability hopefully will help us to be more careful with our food and maybe save some money.

Also, I am using this public forum to encourage us to eat out less which includes better meal planning.


This Week's Food Waste

Theo recovering from his wisdom tooth extractions
This week Theo had a cooking misstep and created a dish that was okay, but just not that appealing. We ate a little of it and decided that we didn't want the rest. So, out it went. It was not all a loss because Theo learned a good cooking lesson from his mistake. Also, I don't want to pick on him too much because he just had his wisdom teeth out.









This Week's True Food Confessions 


We were lucky to have a lot of fresh vegetables to use this week for our cooking.

We've been working on this eating-at-home thing for four weeks now and my attitude is starting to improve. There are still a lot of other things we'd rather do than cook, but it's becoming more of a routine and less of a struggle.

We had another successful week. Among the whole family, we only had a couple lunches out and pizza take out one night--the night of Theodore's unfortunate cooking misstep. The favorite thing we made were ham roll ups. We were trying to imitate the roll ups that we buy at Costco. They were easy to make and included cream cheese, cranberry jelly, ham, lettuce, and tomato rolled up in a whole wheat tortilla. Next time we make them, we're adding Swiss cheese. 

Let me make a correction. What we really liked the most this week, was a pan of Virginia brownies we made and took to a crab feast. They had a caramel, chocolate chip, and nut filling and were VERY rich. Yum!
Until next time...

7 comments:

  1. I've been trying to eat home more often too. Pinterest has really been helping, I've realized that I love cooking but I hate making the same recipes over and over so I pin pretty much anything that looks like it may taste good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son loves to search the internet for new recipes. I prefer to look at tried and true ones. I guess that's how we'll get a good balance.

      Good luck with eating at home more often. Let me know how you do. Maybe your successes will encourage me.

      Delete
  2. Good job on reducing eating out! It takes effort, that's for sure. But the rewards can be substantial. Plus, for our family, because we eat out only occasionally, restaurant meals seem more special.

    I think meal planning is key to getting into the routine of eating at home. If you at least know what you're to make, it's just easier to get into the mindset of "we'll cook at home". And you can get menu input from family members, to get everyone on board with the plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about the mindset thing. If we have the mindset that we are going to eat at home and have a plan, we're going to have success. We doing pretty well with the plan, however we still have a little work to do on the mindset when we are tired.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you're doing great! Cooking from scratch gets easier the more you do it. I don't have much choice because of my food allergies, so I try to make it as easy as possible on myself. I'm a big fan of making extra portions and freezing them as well as planned leftovers and making as much as possible in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with ecocatlady. Having frozen leftovers to whip out on a night when dinner just won't come together is a lifesaver. I used to use http://onceamonthmom.com/ for ideas, but I've found that most of our favorites freeze pretty well. Good luck with the cooking! Its the hardest part for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We occasionally make enough to put some in the freezer, but I'm going to try to do it more. With two young men in the house, you have to cook a lot to have extra. However, I think that's why I usually do pretty well in the food waste department.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?