Sunday, February 25, 2024

This and That

  or Speed Blogging 

In an attempt to post more often and not overthink things, I will be doing speed blogging from time to time. I will blog for however long it is on my timer. Currently, that's 12 minutes. Read ahead for a bit of stream-of-consciousness posting. : ) Generally, I end up sharing this and that from my week. Let's see where my mind takes me today.

No spring crocuses yet, but I found these little phlox braving the cold.

It's been a somewhat restless day - no big projects in mind. I've just been wandering around from thing to thing. I started using the timer about an hour ago, so I'm a little more focused now.

Last year, I bought an amaryllis bulb from a clearance rack. It was packaged for Christmas, but it was long past that. But it was cheap, so I took a chance. It grew leaves, but didn't bloom. I just stuck it out in the garage until I noticed it a few weeks ago and saw it was trying to send up leaves. I brought it inside to see what would happen. And much to my delight, it grew and bloomed. 

Today, I took it away from the window and into another room to take a picture. After placing it on a table with good light, I went to get the camera. And that's when I heard a crash. I guess it was top-heavy and toppled to the floor, breaking the pot it was in along the way. Not gonna lie. A few curse words were said when I heard that pot breaking. I cleaned up the mess and put the blooms, which had broken off, in water. I don't know if they will last since the stem is hollow. Oh, well. It was fun while it lasted.

We are continuing to wade through paperwork with our totaled car. Even though we bought the car at the end of January, we found out Friday that they had just submitted the paperwork for the title and tags. MVA says that it should take about another month. Unfortunately, you can't hurry bureaucracy, but you sure can get annoyed with it. Another- Oh, well. That's the way the cookie crumbles or the car smashes.

I took a neighborhood walk this afternoon with Ward. I'm trying to walk outside every day to help with sleep. While exercise is important, sunlight is also important to trigger certain sleep-related hormones. I have about a week's worth of data, and I would say, overall, that my sleep has improved.

We started our next set of dance lessons. This time, we will "learn" cha-cha and the waltz. After I finish here, we need to go practice. One hour a week on two dances is not enough time for me to learn them. I am not what you would call a quick study - at least not in this area.

My timer is beeping, so that's all for now.

Until next time...


14 comments:

  1. That sounds fun to learn all those dances. Sorry about your Amaryllis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far the cha cha seems a little easier than the Rumba and Samba that we did last session. So that makes it more fun. But the instructor said that she hasn't gotten to the hard stuff yet. We'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  2. Aww, man! Sorry about your flower. 😕 I hope it makes it. And yes, dealing with the car sounds so frustrating! I hope it won’t take that long. Those dances sound fun! I think I can do those two….they were never really popular when I was growing up, but I learned them! I love a waltz! Such a pretty dance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you're a dancer. Too bad you aren't closer so you could help us practice. The waltz is very pretty with its turning and up and down sweeping motions. At least it is when I watch it on TV.

      Delete
  3. You are a fast typist to be able to write a blog post in 12 minutes! So sorry about the amaryllis falling and breaking off the flower! But, hopefully, the plant will grow and rebloom next year, too. That must be so frustrating that the car is taking so long to be registered so you can claim the insurance for the accident. Hope that gets sorted out, soon.
    Between the walking and the dancing, you should be able to sleep well. Hope you have a good week ahead of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I can type pretty fast and occasionally, I can even do it without lots of mistakes. But sometimes, I am typing as much backwards to fix mistakes as I am forwards. When I'm not worrying too much about the words, like in these posts, I can go pretty fast. (I do do a quick read over at the end looking for typos.) But other posts seem to take me forever.

      Delete
  4. Oh no, sorry about your pot and your amaryllis. I would have been sad (and grouchy) about having that happen.

    My husband says that the crocuses are blooming near the back of the house, so I need to check it out today. We are having wild temperature swings and I feel unsettled, trying to decide if it's late winter or early spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely a transition time of year with the weather fluctuating a lot. After a couple of cold fronts last week, we are supposed to get into the 60s this week. My crocuses leaves are just up a few inches at this point. Enjoy your early flowers. I'm sure they are a welcome sight each year.

      Delete
  5. I love your idea of a 15 minute time limit on your posts. If I did that, the thoughts would be so incredibly scattered that no one would be able to follow what I wrote. Color me impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! You are allowed a few swear words after that happened. Speed blogging might be the way to go, I take probably 3 hours to complete mine from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your posts cover a lot of material and would take me longer than 3 hours to complete. They are a great record of your travels and adventures.

      Delete
  7. It amazes me how you can cover (in a good way) in your speed blogging posts. I really need to try that.

    I looked back at older posts about your car being totaled. I'm glad you weren't hurt. I know all of the paperwork is really annoying, but you might be better off long term with it being totaled. My car was hit (an idiot not paying attention rear-ended us at a stop sign) when it was exactly a year old and has less than 10,000 miles. There was A LOT of damage, and at the time I was really worried they would total it out. It wasn't totaled and it was in the body shop for over a month. The trunk has leaked off and on ever since then. I took it back to the body shop several times, and after all of their warranties ran out, ended up getting it re-sealed (which was expensive) and then spending even more on getting the water damage from the leak fixed. In hindsight, though I would have been very unhappy about it at the time, I wish it had been totaled out. We had the gap coverage and wouldn't have been dealing with issues from the wreck six/seven years later. We tend to keep cars for a long time, so it will be an ongoing thing to check on the seal. Anyway, all of that to say, that all of the paperwork hassle may (hopefully) be worth it long term. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a bit, we hoped it would be totaled if for no other reason they said it would take months to fix because parts were hard to find. The insurance people said that if we took it to a place they approved, they would guarantee the work as long as we had insurance with them. I'm glad we won't have to test that. Sorry that you are still dealing with things from your accident all of this time later.

      Delete

What do you think?