Monday, February 12, 2024

This and That

 or My Speed Blogging for the Week

In an attempt to post more often and not overthink things, I will be doing speed blogging from time to time. I will blog for however long it is on my timer. Currently, that's 16 minutes. Read ahead for a bit of stream-of-consciousness posting. : )

I have had two sightings of bluebirds this past week.

Well, the Super Bowl has come and gone, and if you're into football, it was a good game. And if you're a Swiftie, I guess it was a good game, too. I'm not into either one, but I enjoyed checking in then and again on the game and the commercials, which, BTW, are not as special as they used to be since there are so many of them. 

I was discussing this with Wally the other day, telling him about the "good old days" when there was not so much content available. I was telling him about Christmas shows when I was a kid. We only had one channel until I was older, and we only had two shows to watch before Christmas - Rudolph and Frosty. I got so excited when I started to see commercials for them and loved seeing them every year - just once. That made them very special. There are many advantages to the plethora of things we can watch these days, but I think this abundance dilutes the experience. 

Also, I've been stressed lately because our new car was in an accident. The good news is that no one was hurt. The bad news is that the damage was bad enough that it might be totaled. It's been in the shop for almost a week, waiting for an evaluation. The car is so new that we don't have the tags or permanent registration yet. I can only imagine what the paperwork will be like if it's totaled. But maybe they'll fix it. I don't know how to predict. In the meantime, we are lucky that Ward and I are able to coordinate our trips without it. 

Speaking of Ward, he smoked two pork shoulders yesterday, and Wally and Theo came over for dinner. All of the carnivores enjoyed Ward's efforts, and Wally and Theo were very happy to leave with a lot of meat, as was Ward's plan. We still had plenty of meat left, but unfortunately, the roasted carrots, my favorite part of the meal, were gone. I'll roast more once we get to the store to buy some.

The work on cleaning out our files is moving along at a steady pace - not a fast one, but progress is being made. We found a place that will do shredding for free, so we took two large bags to them last week. The place is out of our way, but we had an errand in the area, so we took advantage of the service. We do regular shredding of a few papers here and there, but we are generating large volumes of them with our file cleanout, so we'd rather not see how strong our shredder motor is. 

Looks like time is up for now. Hope you are having an enjoyable week and find at least one thing to smile about each day.

Until next time...

10 comments:

  1. I am glad no one was injured in the crash. Cars are replaceable people aren't. I watched the Super Bowl but I might start calling it a Taylor Swift reaction video instead. I am glad they found each other, but enough is enough. Though I am sure the NFL loves it. Pre-teen girls were watching the game just to see glimpses of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are 100% right. Things can be replaced, but people can't. I am very thankful for that.
      I don't really think we need that many Taylor Swift reactions, but they didn't ask me. I have heard that many fathers and daughters are getting closer as they bond over the TS and football connection. I guess that's a good thing.

      Delete
  2. My daughter and I watched All Creatures Great and Small. Does that tell you where the Superbowl ranks with us? She listens to some of Taylor Swift's songs but isn't a Swiftie (thank goodness ..... ).

    Anne is right, the most important thing is that no one was hurt. So frustrating for you, though.

    We've been getting lots of bluebirds the past few years. This is a relatively new thing for us--we never used to see many of them. They are so pretty and you did a fantastic job catching it in a photo! I'd be tempted to print and frame it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like some Taylor Swift songs myself, and I talked to one person who went to recent concert (not a Swiftie) and said it was fantastic. She is definitely a smart, talented woman. Just way overexposed at this time, in my opinion.
      I agree that bluebirds are very pretty. It's always a treat when I see one.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! I'm glad y'all are ok, but I know that is super disappointing about the car. I pray they will cover it!

    And I agree, shows used to be special when I was growing up. I couldn't wait for the ones you mentioned, and the Charlie Brown specials as well. Now, I could watch any of them any time I wanted. It does take a little of the anticipatory joy out of it.

    I watched the halftime show and a few commercials. The commercials just didn't seem as funny anymore. Maybe I'm just getting old and my sense of humor is drying up! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen all of the commercials from the Super Bowl, but most of the ones I saw were just okay. Many of them were show or movie promotions. Thanks for your prayers for the car. We're going to go to the shop today to try to retrieve our garage door opener from it, and maybe we can learn whether or not they've even started to look at it.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about the new car being in an accident, but, thankful that no one was hurt.
    We didn't have TV in Sri Lanka when I was growing up! The first time I watched TV was when I was 17 and had left Sri Lanka.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, on the car. I'm so sorry that happened. What a nightmare. I watch a movie on netflix or watch a limited series in one day and think later all the time and money and work that went into creating that and now in one day, for me its over and done with. No big todo over it, no anticipation, waiting, and standing in line at a theater with others all excited to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are not binge watchers, but still we can tune into many things whenever we want. I'm not sure the "Who shot JR?" would be such a big thing these days. Remember that from Dallas?

      Delete

What do you think?