Monday, October 2, 2023

Day 4, Roanoke

 Note: Ward, Wally, Theo, and I are on a weeklong trip to the Blue Ridge of Central Virginia.

Today for a change of pace, we went into the city of Roanoke, VA. Thank Goodness for the GPS helping navigate around the city. Roanoke is a city of around 100,000 people, and among its many attributes, it is perhaps best known for its star. On top of Mill Mountain in the middle of the city is the Roanoke Star. It can be seen from miles around and is a landmark that everyone knows. So, of course, we had to go see it up close. 

The star is the world's largest man-made star and can be seen for 60 miles. It was originally constructed for the 1949 Christmas season to bring in business, but was popular enough that it stayed. It lights up in different color combinations every night.

From up top, we also had a good overlook of Roanoke.


Surrounding the star was Mill Mountain Park with a wildflower garden, teaching zoo, discovery center, and trails. There weren't many wildflowers blooming in the garden at this time of year, but it was a very pleasant walk all the same.

 Our next stop was the Pinball Museum in the center of Roanoke. 
Coincidentally, there was a Hispanic Heritage Month Festival going on. 
We enjoyed some of the music and dancing being showcased. 



The Pinball Museum was not exactly what we thought it was going to be. There wasn't much about the history of pinball, more a large collection of pinball machines of all ages. The best part was that the machines were operational and you could play to your hearts content. No money needed (except the entrance fee.) 

After our sights and senses were full of flashing lights and bells, we headed back to our home-away-from home. 

Until next time...


11 comments:

  1. I have never been to Roanoke , but have been near it. It is a beautiful part of the country.
    I would love to go to the pinball museum just to hear the old familiar sounds of vintage machines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved hearing the sounds of the old machines as ball bounced around the stops. I had forgotten how good they are.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, the pinball museum is a lot of fun! I think my husband liked the Addams family machine the best, and my son wanted to play pinball machines for his birthday. Lots of fun memories in Roanoke, and I'm glad you are having fun on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lord of the Rings machine was the favorite of my sons, however one of them said the Addams Family was fun because of a magnet in the machine altering the way the ball went sometimes. My husband and I both enjoyed the older vintage machines the most. I have visited Roanoke some in the past, but it's been decades.

      Delete
  3. Did you play pinball? My niece's husband refurbishes old pinball machines as a hobby, and they have several in their house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I played pinball and had a great time. I wasn't very good, but since you didn't have to stop and put in coins, I could just keep playing. And as I told Anne, I love the sounds the machines make. Do you play pinball at your nieces house?

      Delete
    2. I rarely get to her house, but yes, I have.

      Delete
  4. Great trip. I've always wanted to roam around that part of Virginia. I've gotten the impression from others that Roanoke is a pretty cool city. My only real experience there, though, was the airport, circa 1981-83. Also, now I am wondering if Day 5 might include a visit to C'burg and B'burg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ward and I visited B'burg and C'burg during out drive to GA and SC last spring. Wally and Theo were not interested in a visit to the 'Burgs, so we stayed closer to our home-away-from home on this trip.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know that there was a city called Roanoke in Virginia! The only Roanoke I had heard of before was the "lost colony" of Roanoke! I guess my ignorance is showing! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We visited the "lost colony" of Roanoke a few years ago. Another interesting place.

      Delete

What do you think?