Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Meanderings

 In my head, I've written several blog posts since I last visited with you. And they have been very insightful as well as humorous. Too bad, my thoughts are so rapid-fire that as soon as I have one, another comes along to push the first one out of the way. So, let's see where my mind meanders today. :)

There are many more where these came from.

We have been picking up dropped apples around the broken tree limb, and although the apples are still sour, they are sweeter than the ones we tried a couple of weeks ago. They are taking a while to process because they are full of rotten places and wormholes, but I have managed to get some into the freezer for pies. While working on the apples, I thought about when I was a kid and we made lots of applesauce. We didn't have an apple tree, but my father collected bushels of dropped apples from various friends. Every day after school, we would have to make a canner load (7 quarts) of applesauce. This continued until the supply was depleted and often lasted for a few weeks. My father was always scavenging for food - I think a throwback to his childhood when he earned extra money that way. We always had a good supply of blackberries, hickory nuts, and apples from his efforts. And he was a big gardener. But that's a story for another time.

I was too lazy to take the pizza out of the oven for a picture. 

Last night, we had one of our easy, frugal, but tasty dinners. We got a cheese pizza from Aldi's (16" one for only $5.99). We added shredded rotisserie chicken from Costco (4 lb cooked weight/$4.99), peppers from Uncle Billy's garden (sweet for me and jalapeno for Ward), and tomatoes from our garden. We have pizza this way occasionally, and the toppings vary with whatever we have on hand. It easily provides a couple of meals. It could have been cheaper if we had made it entirely from scratch, but it was still a very good deal. And all we had to do was push the Easy Button. And if it's easy, we're more likely to eat at home instead of eating out. And eating at home is almost always cheaper than eating out. 

Surprise iris bloom

I had a fun surprise in the yard recently. I turned around in the driveway one day and saw an iris blooming. I got these irises from an aunt, and they have not bloomed in the two years I've had them. I know it takes a season or two for one to bloom after transplanting, so I was not worried that they hadn't. Disappointed but not worried. It was a surprise to see one blooming in September when they usually bloom in April. I'm unsure what it all means, but I enjoy the bright pop of color.

Next week, we are going to the Blue Ridge with Wally and Theo. Where we're staying is not close to any town, so we can't count on popping out to Walmart to pick up something we've forgotten. And there will be no internet, which we usually use to figure out the details of where we're going and what we're doing for the next day. I think it's time to get serious with our planning. In the meantime, work and other things are keeping us busy. 

Hope everyone gets a fun surprise this week, like my iris.

Until next time...


13 comments:

  1. What a bounty of apples, even if they are bruised and rotten in places! You can still use the good parts. Your custom topped pizza looks delicious and is a good compromise between going out to eat and saving time when you don't want to cook everything from scratch. The iris is a very nice surprise, especially since it is flowering at this time of the year!
    I hope you have a lovely family vacation and enjoy yourselves. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are excited about the apples. We have a cherry tree and two pear trees that produce well most years, but this is the first year we've had more than a couple of apples from three different trees we have.
      Besides blooming out of season, the iris is not a common color. Now, I'm really curious to know what colors the other two might be.

      Delete
  2. I always look forward to your vacation posts. You seem to pick the same kinds of locations that I would love to visit. Travel safely!

    It's nice that you have an apple tree. We don't, but there are lots of orchards in our area, and my husband has a favorite one where he gets our apples every autumn. It's a smaller stand (there is a HUGE one about a mile down the road--the kind that has all sorts of entertainment for kids--but we prefer the quieter one. Bonus that they are less expensive) and he's been there so often over the years that it's like visiting an old friend.

    My husband planted nasturtium in the garden, and they are blooming like crazy. It's nice to peer out my back window and see all the flowers. Enjoy your iris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you eat the nasturtium? We have some big orchards that I go to around here some years. I might go again this year for some eating apples. The apples from our yard are better for cooking that eating. At this point anyway. Maybe some of them will stay on the tree long enough to sweeten up. We shall see.
      Except for some hiking, we don't have much planned for our vacation yet. I don't do well just hanging out doing nothing, but the place where we're staying looks nice enough that maybe we will do just that. Your family would like it because it comes complete with a lake for fishing.

      Delete
  3. I don't have canning supplies or I'd be canning applesauce like mad since my tiny front yard tree overproduced. I eat an apple from it every day, made two dozen hand pies from them, tried to give them away, gave away about four bucket fulls, still have many on the tree and daily pick up from ground. Some have worms, not many. I just have a teensy freezer so can't freeze many after processing. I've dried some in the oven, low temp for hours, in the evenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw an add on a local group website that someone is looking for apples for his cows. His trees didn't produce much and the cows love them. I may look into to that because there is not way we are going to process all of these apples. So far, no one has wanted any that I have offered them to.

      Delete
  4. I love it that you make sure your apples get eaten, even if it is by the cows. Beautiful Iris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never thought about giving them to cows, but makes sense.

      Delete
  5. That pizza looks good. It has been a while but we used to buy plain pizza and then dress it up to our liking. Lately, we have been making our own dough, dressing them up and cooking them on the grill. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's such a great idea to get the cheese pizza and add your own toppings! We need to do that. We do NOT agree on pizza toppings, but we could each add toppings to our own half that . Thanks for the idea!

    Your iris is so pretty! I've tried planting them a few times, but have never had any luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't always agree on pizza toppings, either. He likes meat and heat. I like veggies and less cheese. The established iris we have didn't bloom last spring, and they did not bloom this fall. I'm not sure what that's about. My experience with iris has always been that it was a hardy, reliable, spring bloomer, so I haven't had to learn much about them.

      Delete
  7. New to the blog. Pizza looks good! I do love a Costco chicken. Cheap and versatile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome. It's hard to beat the cost and convenience of a Costco chicken. They haven't raised the price since 2009, and it's a loss leader for them. But good marketing because it gets people in the store.

      Delete

What do you think?