Friday, April 14, 2023

It's Me Again

 Another morning where I am racing the clock to check in before I head off to work. All is good here. The weather has been spring-like, which has made all of the plants happy - the grass, especially. It has entered the 2x/week mowing phase. But it's very pretty with its lush, emerald green color of new growth. So with cleaning up last year's beds, preparing this year's beds for planting, and mowing grass, our focus has been in the yard. 

When it's raining, or I want a break from the outside work, I've been working on a project for my FIL, who turns 90 in a couple of months. I'm sorting through boxes of old papers and pictures, trying to put together a memory/tribute book for him. It's still in its infant stages, but I have found some interesting things. 

Tomorrow we celebrate Wally's birthday. We have a cookout planned, but the weather forecast is for rain and thunderstorms all day. While I'm at work today, Ward is going to work up alternate weather plans in case we need them.

So time's up for this morning. Off to fix my lunch. Below are pictures of some of what blooming in the yard now. 

Daffodil

Daffodil


Tulip


Phlox


Ornamental cherry


Groundcover


Vinca


Sour cherry with crabapple in the background.


Apple. Maybe we'll get our first apples from the little tree this year.


Lilac


Virginia bluebells


Grape hyacinth


Azalea


Until next time...

6 comments:

  1. Hello, again! *waves*
    You sound super busy, between working, gardening, family projects, etc. The memory book/album for your FIL sounds like a wonderful project!
    Your garden is full of flowers and I drooled a bit over that lovely green grass! You have some wonderful, mature trees in your garden and I hope you do get some apples from your tree this year. I spotted your raised vegetable beds in some of those pictures; looking forward to seeing what you grow in them, this year.
    Happy birthday to Wally and I hope the weather will be good for his birthday celebrations, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the time of year that the grass looks its best. It will look brown and stressed in the middle of summer heat, but for now it's luscious. I just finished weeding and putting compost on our vegetable plots, so they're ready for planting. I have broccoli plants and seeds for radishes, carrots, and peas ready to go when the rain stops. Our last frost date is not for another month, so the warmer veggies will have to wait.

      Delete
  2. Can I come hang out in your yard??? :) So lovely. Actually, I can't complain--we are having a wonderful week of very springlike weather. It seems like th entire world is happier--that's what spring does after a long winter. Enjoy Wally's birthday celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the best time of year in the yard as far as color goes. And I agree that the colors of spring, along with the warmer air, makes everyone happier. Time to go wrap Wally's presents and put up a birthday sign.

      Delete
  3. Your flowers are so pretty! I love that first daffodil. I really like the lighter color ones like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that daffodil, too. At our last house, we had seven different kinds of daffodils, but not here. I have planted different ones in several places, hoping for more variety, but no luck so far. I think there may be too much shade. In the meantime, I appreciate what we do have.

      Delete

What do you think?