Thursday, February 9, 2023

Close, but...

 Close, But No Cigar.

On various social media accounts, I've been seeing pictures of spring flowers. It seems a little early, but while we have had some frigid weather, we have not sustained time below freezing. I guess the flowers are reacting to that. So when today turned out to be a nice day, I thought I would go explore our yard to see what had popped up.

But, alas, I didn't find any gently curving snowdrops, brightly colored crocus, or trumpeting daffodils. But I did see some green sprouting up from the ground. And if the weather remains mild, I may indeed start to see flowers sooner rather than later. I can only hope.

Here are the few signs of spring I did see.

Crocus

Tulip


Day Lily


Daffodil


Nandina. These berries have been with us all winter.

How are things looking at your house?

Until next time...

Note: In case you're curious, the phrase "Close, but no cigar" comes from the former practice of giving out cigars at country fairs as prizes. So says the internet, and you know, if it's on the internet, it must be right. :)

8 comments:

  1. I am sitting at my kitchen window looking at the redbud tree which is about 3 days before being in full bloom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love redbuds. Those along with dogwoods dotted the hills in the spring time where I grew up. When my first son was born, we planted a redbud for him, so it would be blooming every year around his birthday. And that happened for the 10 years we lived in that house. I often wonder if it's still there.

      Delete
  2. Oh, definitely lots of signs of spring in your yard! Those daffodils have buds in them and you'll probably have flowers pretty soon!
    My peach tree is in full bloom! That's my best sign of spring! Plus hundreds of self-seeded osteospermum plants popping up everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those osteospermum are really going to put on a show when they get bigger! We shall see when the daffodils decide to bloom. Weather is a fickle thing and a hard freeze could set them back. But spring will be here before I know it.

      Delete
  3. Our daffodils are coming up, but the past few years we've been having wintry weather into the middle of April, so I don't allow myself to get in a "spring" mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that way you won't get your hopes up for nothing, and when you do see those first signs of spring, they will be even sweeter. How's that saying go? "Good things come to those who wait." :)

      Delete
  4. Same here, a few nights of freezing but nothing prolonged, mostly plain old rain and got to mid 50's yesterday. I'll have to check to see if my day lilies or crocus are starting up.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?