Saturday, September 24, 2022

Fall Has Come

 Fall officially arrived Thursday, and the weather coordinated with the calendar for once. A cold front came through on Thursday and brought blustery, rainy weather followed by a big temperature drop. Today is going to be sunny with a high of 70 F. Perfect. 

Fall is starting to show itself in other ways, too.

Sunrises seem to be more vivid this time of year, or at least they happen when I'm more likely to see them. This was at 6:30 this morning. (As always, the picture did not copy the splendor I saw.)


 I looked out yesterday and saw my neighbor's maple tree starting to change colors. This tree is always the first in the neighborhood to change. Also, notice the green grass. When the temperatures cool off, the grass is really happy and grows. And grows. We are back to cutting the grass 2x/week, like in the spring.


We got our first apples from a local orchard, and they taste heavenly. Unfortunately, our own apple tree is not doing so well. We had high hopes this year because the tree had more than a couple of apples on it. We have been waiting for them to ripen. However, when I checked yesterday, most of them had rotted on the tree while still green. So today, we plan to salvage what we can, ripe or not. 

The beautyberries are turning purple, waiting for the birds who love them.


The turnip and radishes are growing well. We should have some eating size in a few weeks. If you look closely at the picture, you can also see a cherry tomato that has revived with a bit of rain and cooler temps. It is doing what cherry tomatoes do best - try to take over everywhere.


The anemones are in full bloom. This year these bloomed about a month ahead of last year when they didn't start blooming until October.

And now we're off to another fun fall thing- an arts and crafts festival. If I remember to take pictures, I'll show you some of those next time.

Until next time...

8 comments:

  1. Oh man, you said it, cherry tomatoes would love to take over the world. Good thing I like them, grin grin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had another cherry tomato plant that popped up in the front of the house that was taking over to the point that we couldn't get by on the sidewalk anymore. We took it out yesterday, but saved the tomatoes that should still ripen.

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about not being able to capture a sunrise (or sunset) fully! We also had an abrupt change of weather here on Thursday. I put out my autumn decorations indoors. Looks like we have more trees changing color than you do, but it's early stages yet. We had to turn on our heat yesterday--a sure sign of autumn!

    Your arts and crafts festival sounds fun. I find that some are better than others. :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't turned on our heat yet, but I've had a sweatshirt on all day. Which reminds me, I need to check out some heating oil prices for the winter.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful sunrise and lovely photos of the garden. Maybe I should try growing cherry tomatoes in my garden! Maybe they'll do better than the regular tomatoes that I planted this year.
    As for Fall weather, we are having a mini heatwave! Of course I am loving it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where we live, cherry tomatoes do better than the bigger ones in most circumstances. I would give them a try.

      Delete
  4. How cool with the turnips and radishes you are growing! I'm not sure I knew anyone who grew them before! That's funny about your grass growing so much this time of year. Ours here is slowing down. One thing I miss about living in a "cooler" climate is the changing of the leaves. Always such a pretty sight! That's why I'm glad when people post pictures of them on their blog so I can see the splendor of them! Happy Fall! We are still in summer here, lol, but will be until November :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also planted beets, but only a couple of them came up. These are some of the vegetables that the summers are too hot for, but the fall and spring are good. I have lived where there were not four distinct seasons, and I missed them - especially the changing of the leaves.

      Delete

What do you think?