Saturday, April 30, 2022

Z is for Zero

If you've been reading along recently with my A-Z challenge, you may have already guessed that Z is for Zero. I was going to go into a long discussion about zero and infinity-whether they were the same thing or opposites. Sort of like the continuum of love and hate. But my schedule is full, and I need more sleep, so that's too much to think about right now. So I've pulled another one from the files for you to peruse.

After tomorrow, there is Zilch to do for this challenge! Yea!

______________________________________________________

Zero--a book review

This month's selection for my book club was Zero-the Biography of a Dangerous Idea by Charles Seife. This nonfiction book discusses the history of numbers and their place in society, focusing on the ever-important concept of zero and its partner infinity. Now, if you're not a math person, don't stop reading yet. Seife has master's degrees in math and journalism and takes a seemingly dry subject and makes it a very interesting read. He starts in the beginning with the use of numbers to count things and goes to the present day with string theory and such. 

First, let me tell you what background knowledge I brought to the book, so you can put my perceptions in context. I had the basic science and math courses in college of physics, chemistry, and calculus. I didn't have any advanced courses in these areas. However, I am married to someone who reads math and physics books for fun, so I should know a lot if you can learn anything by osmosis. I found the book an interesting read for several reasons.

I had never thought about the evolution of numbers and their use. I guess I just assumed that all of them had always been there, including zero. However, that was naive. They have evolved over time just as our scientific ideas have often hand in hand--which makes perfect sense if I'd ever taken the time to think about it. Also, I had never thought about the beautiful or sinister (depending on your point of view) concepts of zero and infinity in a religious sense. There have been a lot of different ideas about whether God created things from something or from nothing and whether there is a beginning and ending to the universe. Many men and societies survived or didn't, depending on their views on this subject and what was politically correct at the time. Also, the book reads like a who's who of the big players throughout time in the science and math world. However, Seife does more than discuss their math contributions. He tells about the life they were living and how their work affected their life. It is very much a history book in all of these ways.

Zero is also a math book. Seife describes each new concept as it was discovered, and he gives very understandable examples of that concept in everyday terms. He seems to have a real gift for this, and I think his examples could be used in the classroom to make things clear and relevant to students.

Now, after all of that praise, let me tell you the rest of the story. The book can be a quick and easy read. At least, that was how it was for the math professor in our group. However, I found it a fast read if I didn't try to thoroughly understand the examples or a tedious read when I was trying to understand them--especially toward the end when they were getting more complex.

What did the others think about Zero? Some commented that there may have been other sides to the story, especially in the religious context, than were presented by Seife. However, most of the other comments were favorable. They thought it was well written and the subject matter interesting. Out in the rest of the world, it has won awards and has gotten favorable reviews from most major newspapers.

Would I recommend the book? Yes, but I wouldn't call it a beach-read type book for the average person. I plan to reread it and savor all of the fascinating information it has to offer. (Especially when I have trouble sleeping.)
___________________________________________________________________________________

But wait, there's more:
The latter parts of the book discuss many things that I have heard referenced on The Big Bang Theory. I now understand better what Sheldon and Leonard are often talking about.

But wait, there's even more:
If you want to know more details about the book, read here.

24 comments:

  1. I might enjoy that book. Congratulations on finishing the A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Next year you'll have to join me. I think we first met during the challenge.

      Delete
  2. Although I look forward someday to your thoughts about zero and infinity, your choice for your post today is great. It made me smile, as I have read the book - and our circumstances are rather similar. I'm not a math/science person, but my husband is. I bought the book for him, and he ended up telling me little snippets throughout his reading, that I was inspired to read it myself. :-) Congratulations on completing the challenge, and I think many of us are looking forward to a few more zzzs during May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it a very rich book with many levels to enjoy. I am looking forward to a less vigorous blogging schedule. Some people post every day. I'm not sure how they do it. I'm just glad that I don't have to depend on blogging for my income.

      Delete
  3. Im married to that guy who understands the numbers and enjoys. My brain just turns to mud.
    Cheers for a less vigorous blogging season.
    You did it all the way to Z -celebrate!!
    The Man who would lead - Zelensky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy numbers, but much not nearly as much as my husband who was a math major.
      We made it to the end! Until next year...

      Delete
  4. You were Zealous in accomplishing your A to Z goal!

    I think I would read the book like you did--not trying to concentrate too hard but focusing on understanding the basic concepts. It does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've given me an idea. Next time I do the A-Z Challenge, the commenters can us the letter of the day in their comments. I would find that fun. Not so sure about everyone else. :)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on finishing the A to Z challenge and you did it as you always do, with very interesting and informative posts! I know you look forward to a more relaxed blogging schedule, but, I must say that I've enjoyed your daily posts. :)
    That sounds like an interesting book! I'm not very good with math; I am in awe of those who understand it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I didn't have anything else to do, daily posts, or at least more frequent posts could be interesting. But posting is not on the top of my priority list most days. Although, I do appreciate you and others who post regularly.

      Delete
  6. Interesting book! I think I might be tempted to try to read it. I usually don't do well with nonfiction books for some reason (maybe because I can't skim read them like I do fiction books lol). Congrats on finishing the challenge! While it has been fun to do and to add some new blogs to my blog reading list (like yours) I welcome a slower pace once again in my life. I was waking up a little bit earlier to get everything done. Will enjoy just a bit more sleep some days :) Enjoy your weekend!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have thoroughly enjoyed your a-z challenge and read all the posts even if I did not comment. I am not a math person and will probably pass on reading zero, but then again, maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're such an avid reader, you could knock this book out in no time and might even find parts of it interesting. :)

      Delete
  8. Sounds like the type of book that would be interesting to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about that. I don't know if it's available that way or not because of the diagrams, but I might look for it that way.

      Delete
  9. You know, I thought I left a comment on here. I have been finding that some of my comments have ended up in people's spam comments and the same have happened to some people leaving comments on my blog. Weird.

    I do remember saying WTG for finishing the challenge! I think I also said something to the effect of not being able to read the book you had read as I usually skim read and it is hard to read nonfiction by skimming. I'll check back to see if this one went through.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know one of you comments showed up in my comment list, but I could never get it to show up with the post so I could answer it. I'm not sure why because I've never had that happen before.

      Delete
    2. On your Blogger dashboard go to the left where it says comments. It should show all comments left and comments you made to comments. I think there is a check mark by comments that Blogger considers spam. You just have to click on the check mark and it will say something to the effect of "not spam" or something like that. You click that and it will publish the comment on your blog. I just learned that by looking around, wondering why comments I knew people had left didn't show up on the blog. Hope this helps and not confuses you.

      betty

      Delete
    3. Found it and published your comment. Good for you for figuring it out. It was pretty obscure and I only found the check after hovering. If this situation ever happens again, I'll know where to look to remedy it. Thanks.

      Delete
  10. Interesting! I did book recommendations too for the A-Z! Haven't read it, but pick it up I shall, one day! Some times abstract books work differently, make an impact or introduce us to different perspectives! This sounds like one of those. Congratulations on finishing the challenge!

    Cheers,
    Deepa from FictionPies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Finishing the challenge always feels good for several reasons. :)

      Delete
    2. Also, Deepa, I couldn't figure out how to leave a comment on your blog. However, I will definitely be checking out all of your book reviews.

      Delete
  11. This book sounds like something I would like. Ironic since I was really bad at math (still am). But I did read once that zero was not used as a numerical value. It was more of a place holder under someone discovered it. I think they called it beautiful (don't quote me on that).
    Thanks for the recommendation June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that more than one person has called zero beautiful. If you like history at all, I think you would find the book interesting.

      Delete

What do you think?