Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Policies

 I did a series here about Theo in his younger years. Here is the post that started it all.

----------------------------------------------------

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 16, 2011

Ponderings from Theodore--The Early Years

Theodore has always been a thinker--meaning long after I have moved on from a subject, he is still pondering it. Occasionally, we are going to visit some of his questions and observations from his earlier years. Some are serious and others are humorous.
 
Policies 

Theodore approached me one evening, when he was eight, 
with the following idea.

“I think we should have a family goal for each month. For this month, I think it would be good for us to have no more electronic entertainment such as TV, computer, and video games.” 

He then went to the next room, turned on the TV, and started watching cartoons. I came into the room and asked what happened to his new plan. He looked at me and said, “Well, you know, it's not policy until it's in writing.

8 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! Has he considered politics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he's too smart for politics. However, he would have made a good lawyer.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Kids always keep surprising us and Theo was no exception.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness. Did you laugh right then or wait till he was in bed to chuckle about it with your husband? I bet he kept his teachers on their toes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ward and I usually discussed these kinds of things later and yes, he did keep his teachers on their toes. Some teachers loved him and others not so much. He was always saying something that most of the rest of the class didn't understand. Some teachers thought it was a great opportunity for the class to learn more and others were annoyed that he disrupted the lesson plan because the other kids would start asking questions about his comments. I understood both perspectives, but always hoped he'd get the teacher who delighted in what he had to say.

      Delete
  4. Oh, that's funny! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?