Monday, January 11, 2021

Giving



 "It's better to give than receive." Or as I heard someone say on TV the other day, "Doing something for someone is the best gift you can give yourself because it feels so good."

With these thoughts in mind, I did a project this past weekend to continue with my attempts to surround myself with positive vibes. I put together cards to be handed out at a long term care facility. Having spent several years around nursing homes with my parents, my heart is saddened by the additional isolation that these people are feeling right now. With these cards, I hope to brighten someone's day, even if it's just for a moment. 

After shopping and piecing together things from home, I was able to make cards to send to the facility in my hometown where my mother was a resident. I chose it for sentimental reasons, but also because they are small with only 35 beds. I thought I could manage 35 cards in a timely manner. 


While I was working on the cards, I was very much channeling my mother. She was a champion at sending cards to people and I used cardstock and stickers that used to be hers. I know she would be quite happy with this effort.

Although I try to be helpful to others everyday, I am going to make an effort to do more of these kind of projects, because I think they were right - giving is the best gift you can give yourself.

13 comments:

  1. That's such a nice thing to do for isolated folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's no substitute for seeing people from the outside world, but since that isn't available, hopefully this will be a distraction for a bit.

      Delete
  2. This is such a wonderful project! I know so many residents of different facilities are glum with the no visitors orders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the project you participate in every year with the letters from Santa. This is a version of that, but with people on the other end of the age spectrum. I'm sure both are appreciated this year, especially.

      Delete
  3. That's such a thoughtful project that will indeed brighten the day for many individuals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many things that could be done for this population and I have thoughts of organizing something on a large scale. But I realize that I have a tendency to be a big planner to the exclusion of action. So I just jumped in and did something. You might say I'm working on becoming an ex-overplanner.

      Delete
  4. Wow, 35 of these all by yourself? Our church, about 3 times a year, has an outreach on Sunday. We meet together briefly for worship and then divide to do service activities in the community. This is more difficult to do with our current restrictions. However, last spring, one of the options was to send cards to folks in a long term care facility. Like you, I chose what was near and dear to my heart--my mom's facility (not where she currently is). There were 38 residents at that time and it seemed like the affordable note cards had all been bought up, so I purchased construction paper and stickers, pulled out the markers, and my family of 4 went to work making cards for all the residents. It was miserable, rainy day outside but we had so much fun creating these cards. Like you say, it's probably just a momentary bit of cheer to bring to people, but hopefully it brightened their day. All to say ... it took the 4 of us awhile to make that many cards so I can't imagine how long it took you to do that many all on your own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took most of the day, but some of that was prep work trying to figure out good sayings for the cards (as you know, general cheery messages don't always apply to this population), figuring out spacing for the printing, and trying to adapt what I had on hand. Although, I did have to go out to get more stickers to finish.

      Doing projects like this in a group sounds fun. Some day that will happen again.

      Delete
  5. That was such a lovely thing to do! I'm sure the residents at the care facility will enjoy receiving the cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that the cancer patients have been happy to receive the hats you knit for them, also.

      Delete
  6. You have no idea how the residents will appreciate it. I remember when I worked in a nursing home, and someone (like little kids or groups) brought them something like a card, they'd talk about it for days and show each other what they received. They will appreciate it especially when they are so isolate. God Bless You!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?