Sunday, November 1, 2020

Thankful Sunday, November 1, 2020

 I am thankful for a friendly neighborhood. 

I couldn't show you neighborhood kids,
but here's a pumpkin from the Pumpkin Festival
 in ME we visited two years ago.

Our neighborhood is relatively small, but active. We have several people who organize different events for the whole neighborhood throughout the year. Yesterday, Halloween, was one of them.

At 4:30 all of the kids gathered for a costume parade down our street, followed by a costume contest. The weather was cold, but there was good turn out with 25-30 kids with many of the parents in costume, also. Ward and I wore our clown wigs and joined the fun. I was getting cold, so we left after the judging and didn't stay for more kid-focused activities. However, we did participate with Trick-or-Treating. The kids were polite and happy when they came to our porch for the treat bags we had made up. Another organizer posted a poll on our neighborhood Facebook page to see how many planned to go out for Trick-or-Treating so we knew what to expect. Some kids rang the door bell and said thank you and others waved to us through window where we were watching from inside our warm house. A good time was had by one and all.

So for a friendly, inclusive neighborhood that makes an effort to get together (in a safe way), I am thankful.

10 comments:

  1. What a fun way to celebrate! We had nice weather so the kids and I sat on the porch and had a bowl of treat bags for our trick or treaters. Our neighbors across the street love Halloween. They're in their 70s but she decorates to the max and dresses up every year. My kids popped over to see her after the crowds slowed down and of course she gave them candy. Another neighbor came over to say hi to us and had juice bags for the kids. I, too, am thankful for good neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had planned to sit outside, but it was too cold for me. We had the treats on a bench right under a window, so it was easy to see all of the kids. Do you get extra traffic on your street as people come to see all of your neighbor's decorations?

      Delete
    2. We live on a main road. I don't think we would get many, if any trick or treaters if it weren't for my neighbor's big Halloween display. She hands out full size candy bars as well, which adds to the appeal.

      We only stayed outside for 45 minutes as it was getting dark and chilly. I left treats in the bowl with a sign on it. The bulk of kids come earlier. My niece stopped by with her little ones and that was a highlight.

      Delete
    3. We don't have any little ones in our family close by, so we enjoyed the kids in the neighborhood. Full size candy bars and fun decorations, that house would definitely be on my route. :)

      Delete
  2. How nice that your community organized something for the kids! There was no trick-or-treating in my neighborhood. Then, again, I didn't get any trick-or-treaters, last year, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been a tough year for everyone, especially the kids. I was so happy that they could still have fun. Everyone put treats out so there wouldn't have to be any close contact while they were trick-or-treating. We had about the same number as last year.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to see a photo of you two in your clown wigs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I showed faces on the blog... :)

      We got them years ago. They are easy to put on and make a big statement without having to worry about an elaborate costume. I liked wearing the wig this time because it was keeping me warm.

      Delete
  4. What an awesome way for the kids to celebrate Halloween. They had a little party at one of the halls for kids. But going door to door trick or treating is a thing of the past around here. If my daughter would have seen you in your clown wigs, she would have been terrified and ran away. 28 years later she still doesn't like clowns. Glad to hear your community had a nice Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of people don't like clowns. We didn't have any makeup on with the wigs, so I think it's a little better that way. I'm not sure because I like clowns. I hope you're feeling better these days, CajunMe.

      Delete

What do you think?