Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Quotes

These mums surprised me just like the request.
They are a new color that I don't remember planting.
The library where I work is not open to the public yet, but we are providing a contactless pickup for materials. The customers have to make an appointment to decrease the chance of too many people showing up at the same time. There is an online form they fill out to make this appointment which has a field for any special instructions. Yesterday we got a different request from the usual of asking for us to pick out a book for them. The person asked for us to include our favorite quote.

Well, of course, I drew a blank on that one. I read clever, funny, and meaningful quotes on Facebook and elsewhere everyday, but I couldn't remember any of them. There wasn't time to search for something so that meant I just went with the first things that popped into my head. This is what I wrote on their receipt.

"Everything in moderation." 

"This too shall pass."

"It's all good."

These are part of my everyday self-talk that I use to help put things into perspective. After the bag was stapled shut, I remembered one that I heard recently that I liked. 

"It's okay to visit the past and the future, but you don't want to live there." Another way of saying, "The present is the present," which is also one of my self-talk sayings.

So, do you have a favorite quote? How would you answer that question if you had essentially no time to think about it and no time to Google for it? What's the first thing you think of?


9 comments:

  1. From Corrie ten Boom, "There is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still" . One of my favorite books is The Hiding Place, which she wrote.

    "This too shall pass" is also a favorite. Coming up with a quote is an interesting request.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I've never read the "Hiding Place". I really should. That quote would certainly help when it seems that there is no way that things can get better.

      Delete
    2. SO MANY good quotes in that book. I hope you do read it.

      Delete
  2. "This above all to thine own self, be true:" Shakespeare's "Hamlet" spoken by his father (forget his name) to Laertes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a classic and good advice for one and all. When I asked my son the same question, he also quoted Shakespeare. I'm paraphrasing, "There are more things in Heaven and Earth that are dreamt of in your philosophy."

      Delete
  3. That's an unusual request, isn't it? I like all the quotes you cited. Mine would probably have been, "All things are subject to change; nothing is permanent".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another good one. That's one of the basics of Buddhism, right?

      Delete
  4. I like to read some Hemmingway and the last line of The Sun Also Rises, stuck in my brain, although I wasn't a fan of that particular book. "isn't it pretty to think so". I say it all the time now. The characters in the book have crashed and burned, in their elitist drinking, failed relationships and travel, going home and the woman is telling the guy that they could have made it together. That line is his response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only read a little Hemmingway, so this one is not familiar to me. I can see where there would be a lot of circumstances where it would fit to say this. I'm learning a lot from everyone.

      Delete

What do you think?