Sunday, June 9, 2019

Thankful Sunday, June 9, 2019


This morning, I wrote down things I'm thankful for as they popped into my head. There was no editing and there is no significance to order or importance. Just some things I'm thankful for at this minute.

I am thankful for ...

A quiet morning alone.
Ward is on a backpacking trip this weekend and Theo is at work so I have the house to myself to enjoy a quiet morning (except for the cats that are howling to be fed). I enjoy having others around, but some time all by myself is nice. So for a quiet morning alone, I am thankful.


I am thankful the pansies from last fall are still blooming.

Modern medicine.
I am very lucky to have good health but I do have a couple of things that are bothering me. There was some confusion with the timing of my allergy shots and I'm itching a lot these days, but things will get back on track soon. And even with this bout of itching, it's all much better than before I started the shots. Also, my trigeminal neuralgia is flaring up again. I have medicine that helps with the pain, and even though it makes me sleepy, it makes things bearable. Both of these conditions can be debilitating, but with current medical practices, they can be managed. So for modern medicine, I am thankful.

A Washing machine.
I have a clothes washer that works so I don't have to wash my clothes by hand or go to a laundromat. Hurray! So for the convenience of a washing machine, I am thankful.


I am thankful the cherries are ripe.


A Loving family, both close and far away. My family is normal. It isn't perfect and we don't always agree, but when push comes to shove, we are always there for each other. So for a loving, supportive family, I am thankful.

Leftovers in the fridge.
Friday night, I cooked enough food that I have been eating it all weekend. Cooking is not my thing, so for a fridge full of food, I am thankful.


I am thankful for the color this poppy gives to the mass of ground cover it's in.
Even from inside, we can see the bright red and it makes me smile.

Snuggly Cats.

We have two cats and both like to be with us. Laps and shoulders are their places to relax, purr, and sleep. When I'm tired or stressed, there is nothing like a cat on my lap to relax me. So for snuggly cats, I am thankful.

Friendly neighbors.
We are very lucky, to have friendly neighbors. You don't get to pick your neighbors and they aren't always friendly, but ours are. Some examples. Ward and a neighbor recently worked on a broken fence together.  Also, when my next door neighbor's husband died, neighbors were there to help her figure out how to move forward. Walkers stop and chat and the whole neighborhood has events such a Halloween cookout every year. So for my friendly neighbors, I am thankful.


I am thankful the previous owners planted these coral bells
 that return year after year.

My Library.
Not only is my library my place of employment, it is where we get much of our entertainment. And for free! So for my library and the many things it provides for us, I am thankful.

A Clear Morning.
Rain may be coming this afternoon, but right now, it is a beautiful morning without a cloud in sight. After I finish here, I plan to go out and enjoy it while working in the yard. So for a clear morning without rain, I am thankful.


I am thankful for the birds that visit our feeders.


So for these blessing and the many more that I have, I am thankful.




13 comments:

  1. You should frame your bluebird picture! What a great shot!

    I should have gone to the gym Thursday, but it is to be my last day at home alone for a few months, since school is almost out, so I opted for a quiet day home alone. That's a long way of saying that I know where you are coming from when you get to have some time alone. :)

    Hope Ward's trip goes well. Glad he's feeling well enough to backpack! I'm impressed. And I'm glad your trigeminal neuralgia is manageable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bluebirds are so pretty, they make any picture look good. I have a lot of nice nature photos from over the years of doing my Second Looks, but I don't really have enough places to hang them. Some day I will get around to the photo books I have been planning to make instead. Actually, now I remember that I did make some note cards from some of my photos.

      Ward's back from his trip and it went well. He's going a longer backpacking trip next month and this was a test for his equipment.

      Do you have any big summer plans?

      Delete
    2. My daughter and my husband are both artistic and I try to display their artwork, but like you, there is limited space. I'm looking at different ideas for an ever-changing art gallery wall in the stairwell by the basement.

      We are going to Starved Rock State Park in July for a long weekend with my husband's family. Then in August we are headed for the 4 Corners/Mesa Verde area in Colorado/Utah. Hopefully we can get in one or two short camping trips, as well. Never enough time for all the fun things there are to do! :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely post. A friend once asked me to put gratitude in a new light and think about what I am able to give...It was an interesting experience and the subject of my next post. Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea for a way to look at things. I'm gonna have to give some thought, also. Look forward to seeing what you have to say about that.

      Delete
  3. My cat is the best. He always has been. He was hungry this evening, and I could tell he was asking for food. I asked him, “Are you hungry?” He recognized the word and gave me the toughest head bonk ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat's make great pets, don't they? They are very smart and I'm sure that your cat understood what you said, especially since it was about food. :)

      Delete
  4. We don’t have good neighbors. 😞
    My bedroom window faces their house. I hear them fighting all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must be difficult to hear fighting all of the time. Do you do anything to help drown them out like the white noise of a fan?

      Delete
    2. No, I listen. I tend to fear the worst. If one of them kills another one, I want to be able to tell what I heard and what time. Sorry my mind just goes there.

      Delete
    3. That's a big responsibility to take on to be the witness one day if there's a murder. If it's that bad, I would call the authorities and let them watch. You have plenty of other things that need your attention.

      Delete
  5. I love your list of things you are grateful for! I am very glad that you have the medication you need to help with your neuralgia. Love those photos, too. Enjoy those cherries before the birds get them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, the TGN is getting worse and I'm gonna need to up the meds again. Oh, well. In a few months it will be in remission again and I won't have to worry about it for a while.

      I know the birds are enjoying the cherries because I am finding cherry pits all around the yard.

      Delete

What do you think?