Wednesday, April 10, 2019

I is for Idioms

#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary blogging from A to Z challenge letteror Interesting bits of Information

I find Idioms Intriguing and an Interesting part of a language. For your Illumination today, here are Intriguing Idioms and Insights onto their Inceptions.

In the limelight: means the center of attention. This comes from the 1840's when they heated lime to produce bright lights to illuminate acts on stage.

It takes to two tango: means it takes two people to accomplish something. Apparently, this expression became popular in the 1920's when the tango was popular in the U.S.

Ignorance is bliss: means you're a lot happier if you don't know the bad stuff going on. Sophocles wrote about it around 400 B. C., so it doesn't just apply to avoiding the news coverage of today.

In the bag: means a sure success.  This came from the 1600's when hunters put their small game into a bag after they shot it. So if they had a successful hunting trip, it was all in the bag.

That's only a few I idioms, but I think I'll stop there because the rest I'm considering using deal with death and mayhem.  I think In the bag was enough on that topic.

So instead of more interesting idioms, I'll leave with a few more words in honor of National Poetry Month that is be observed this April.


Big I
little i
i i i
Icabod is itchy.
So am I.
Dr. Seuss



15 comments:

  1. “I would like to be ignorant; Then I wouldn’t know how ignorant I was.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I have heard that expression before or not, but hat would have been the basis for a good "I" post.

      Delete
  2. I think I can quote the entire Dr. Seuss's ABC book. Yes, I know, everyone is stunned by my talent.

    I also love idioms and learning how they originated. I never would have guessed about "in the limelight".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I could give you a "run for the money" on quoting the entire Dr. Seuss ABC book. That's what runs through my head every time I start to think about the next letter.

      Delete
    2. I checked your "run ... " idiom and it's what I thought it might be, placing a bet on a horse race.

      I had a pillowcase as a child with a picture of Lazy Lion Licks a Lollipop on it so maybe I learned the book subliminally???

      Delete
  3. “Stabbed in the back” came from Julius Ceaser being murdered that way by his best friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, these days it doesn't mean something as severe as murder--just a betrayal.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It comes from a German expression break a neck and a leg and got shortened to just break a leg. I'm not sure about the original German expression, but it was used in show business because of the superstition that wishing someone good luck would cause the opposite to happen.

      Delete
  5. Idioms are fun! But, occasionally, a bit confusing if one is unfamiliar with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are a lot confusing if you're not familiar with them.

      Delete
  6. I love both idioms and colloquialisms. Finding their genesis is a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there is some crossovers between idioms and colloquialisms, but I especially find colloquialisms interesting because they tell a lot about the people living in a certain area.

      Delete
  7. Love to read origins of words, phrases and idioms! Topped off with Dr. Seuss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people don't like Dr. Seuss, but I do. I never minded reading one of his books to my kids. However, the Bernstain Bears, that's another thing.

      Delete

What do you think?