Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Who Did We Go to See?

Maine Trip, Day 5 and 6, Saturday and Sunday

Our loosely based itinerary for this trip included leaving the weekend days free so we could spend time with my sister, Mary Ellen, and her husband, Paul, when they weren't working. Because that was really the reason for the trip--to visit family. After playing tourist the rest of the week, we enjoyed our time just hanging out with Mary Ellen and Paul. Here is how we spent our weekend.

Saturday: It was raining all day, so that meant mostly indoor, rainy day activities.

While Ward and Paul were off at a spin class, Mary Ellen and I sat around in our warm robes drinking coffee and chatting as only sisters can do.


We had a good lunch out and then headed back home to get out of the rain.


Paul worked in his shop while Mary Ellen and I spent several hours working on my mother's estate.


and Ward took a nap and worked a puzzle.

A relaxing day for all. :)
________________________________________________________________________

Sunday: The rain cleared, so we spent the day out and about.

Ward and Paul went for a hike to Bald Mountain. The joke of our visit was that Ward was so relaxed, he could sleep anywhere.


While they were hiking, Mary Ellen and I went to visit my nephew and his wife where I met my grandnephew. He is five months old and a happy, smiley baby. I was really looking forward to this part of the trip and our visit did not disappoint.


And what would a trip to Maine be without a visit to L. L. Bean? When it was time for the baby to take a nap, Mary Ellen and I headed here. The area around the store has built up to be an outlet mecca, but we only went to this store. Did I mention that I'm not much of a shopper?


It was a good weekend and nice break before we were off playing tourist for one more day on Monday.


10 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a lovely visit with your sister, and how wonderful to meet your grandnephew! I am really enjoying reading about your trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you are enjoying my travelogue. It's helping me record the trip for future reference because it's amazing how fast the whole week got jumbled in my head.

      Delete
  2. Ooooohhhhh.... L.L.Bean.... Feel. Strange. Pull. On. Body.... Must. hold. out....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to visit the flagship store. They have several separate stores now for different categories like Home, outlet, etc. Hopefully, the pull is not too strong in California or a trip back east may be happening sooner than planned.

      Delete
    2. Luckily, there is an LLB outlet not far from my my mom's in upstate NY, so I always check it out when we go there. I finally got to go to the "Big Time" store 4 years ago, and it was definitely a great visit. The bags were much more stuffed for the return to CA! I don't think there are any west of the Mississippi.

      Delete
    3. We have some Bean outlets in this area, but they aren't that close so they have to be a destination. However, I think nothing compares to the main store.

      Delete
  3. Is that the world's biggest boot??

    I can see where it would be nice to lay on a rock and absorb the heat from the sun. Not sure I could fall asleep there, though! Your quiet day with your sister sounds wonderful. My sister and I had a rare fun afternoon together yesterday (she was up to visit my mom from out of state). Sometimes we get so absorbed in the business of caring for mom, we forget that we enjoy each other's company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, the world's largest boot is in Red Wing, Minnesota. But this one is pretty darn big.

      For several years, my sisters and I were highly involved in providing care for our parents. And while we got along well, most of our interactions were intense because of the things we were dealing with. As things resolve themselves, we are all looking forward to just hanging out as sisters. I got a good start on this during this visit.

      Delete
  4. Wow, that's what LL Bean headquarters looks like? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun store. Beside being full of interesting merchandise, they have a lot of classes in things like flyfishing and do a lot of community events like concerts.

      Delete

What do you think?