Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Celebrate!



Happy 4th of July

Note: Uncle Billy grew the yellow watermelon and Ward made the corn hole game. 

Enjoy your day as we celebrate the 
242th birthday of our Nation.

Here is a simple quiz to see what you know about the USA.

1. Using the the date when the Declaration of Independence was ratified, how old is the US today? (242 years)

2. What is the largest state according to land size? (Alaska)

3. What is the largest state according to the population? (California, Texas, New York, Florida. The first four according to the 2013 census.)

4. What are the top exports of the US?
(Food, beverage, and feed according to the US Commerce Department in 2017. You will find various answers to this question depending on how it is calculated. And this just for a interesting tidbit, not to start a discussion about trade policies. :) )

5. Speaking of foods, what is the most common vegetable consumed in the US? (Potatoes followed by tomatoes according to USDA research. Yes, I know that technically tomatoes are a fruit. My sister just pointed this out:) )

6. No more questions for now because I've run out of time. We have to get the ribs on and the cherry cobbler made, two of the things on our menu today. Have a great day whether you are having a picnic or reading a good book.


16 comments:

  1. Happy Fourth of July! I was lazy and bought an apple pie so no baking for me, but I cooked ribs for Greg in the crockpot yesterday and I'll be grilling hot dogs for YS and myself later on. We plan on watching "1776" later on, as we always do, and I'm going to try to make cucumber basil spiked lemonade. Otherwise, we're chillin' in the AC today.

    I've never seen a yellow watermelon before... does it taste like regular watermelon? Have a great day with your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of years ago was the first time I saw a yellow watermelon. To me, it tastes the same as the pink ones.

      Watching 1776 is a nice tradition. I may look around to see if I can find it.

      Delete
    2. We bought the DVD but you can rent it on Amazon and Google Play for $2.99 for the SD version :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks. I figured it was on Amazon somewhere.

      Delete
  2. Happy Fourth of July to you too! I'm thinking that the fact that potatoes are the most consumed "vegetable" in the US explains a lot about our expanding waistlines! :) Hope you and yours have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potatoes and tomatoes says french fries and ketchup to me. Definitely waistline expanders.

      However, I eat fewer potatoes than I used to. Growing up, we had potatoes for supper just about every night. I think we used to move around more back then.

      Delete
  3. Happy 4th of July to you and yours! Enjoy celebrating! Ribs and cherry cobbler sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just had our ribs and grilled zucchini for lunch and they were very good. I still have to make the cobbler. Everyone is pretty full right now, so I have some time.

      Delete
  4. Happy Independence Day! I worked; meanwhile, hubs and kids picked cherries. Hubby also grilled burgers and made potato salad. I'm overly full.

    I don't think it's the potatoes that are so fattening ... it's more the way potatoes are prepared and the amounts eaten that are a problem. :) They do seem to lend themselves to being cooked in oil with large quantities being consumed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of potatoes, as far as I'm concerned there's no better way to feel overly full than with potato salad. I bet your husband makes a good one. :)

      Delete
  5. Speaking of potatoes, my wife and I made a "Martha Stewart" recipe German potato salad with bacon for dinner with friends on the 4th. It was awesome. And, our guests brought a great wedge salad with... bacon. Wow! We also had all this with grilled chicken and sweet corn. We did not think about our waistlines! (Now, the next day, we will again.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a German potato salad recipe from a friend that is a family recipe from her German family. However, there's no bacon in it so I may have to check out Martha's. Did you have Cornell chicken?

      Delete
    2. Yes. indeed (but cut out the egg): http://hamilton.cce.cornell.edu/resources/cornell-chicken-barbecue-sauce-and-safe-chicken-barbecues

      Delete
    3. When I've made it before (per your suggestion), we marinated it in a vinegar marinade. Did you just grill it with this sauce as suggested in the link?

      Delete
  6. I hope you had a happy 4th. I really did enjoy the quiz and will happily accept that tomatoes are vegetables. Bell peppers, okra, eggplants, squashes, etc are technically fruits also but I count them as veggies too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless we're classifying fruits for biology class, I like to stick with the traditional, eating definitions for vegetables. Calling them all fruits is too confusing.

      Delete

What do you think?