Tuesday, April 10, 2018

I is for Is It an Illusion?

or Is It really spring?

With snow showers happening most days recently, it doesn't feel very much like spring. However, nature is trying to tell me differently. As well as snow showers, we are getting above freezing temperatures every day. Flowers are blooming, trees are budding, and birds are singing away. I think it's time for me to stop complaining about the weather and see what's around me. You know, take a Second Look.

Here are a few signs of spring I've seen in my yard recently.

Crocus I planted last fall are blooming. 


There are only a few daffodil here, but they are blooming.


The ornamental pear has small white flowers.


Male cardinal in the rain/snow. Cardinals don't migrate so they have been here all winter. However, it's only recently that I've found them at our feeders.


Violets


The lilac bush is budding.


The unnamed bush is blooming.


Forsythia


Junco. Juncos actually come here for the winter and return to colder places for the summer. This is not a sign of spring, but I just like juncos.


Ornamental plum.


Extra points if you can identify the white and grey round object.





12 comments:

  1. Love the feather in the lilac bush, it looks like you're not the only one eager to welcome Spring!

    I have no idea what the strange object is... I'm guessing a fungus of some sort?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like a fungus but it is a rotting pumpkin from last fall.

      Delete
  2. I'm also guessing fungi. I enjoyed seeing all of your birds and blooms. I keep forgetting to plant bulbs in the fall--maybe you need to run a reminder post then for people like me, to tell me to get going and plant things that will make me happy in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I told Natalie the grey object is last fall's rotting pumpkin. Also, if I plant anything in the fall, I'll try to post about it as a reminder.

      Delete
  3. The unnamed flowering plant looks like quince, but no idea about the gray mass, but I think I will call it Oscar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does kind of look like a quince, but we get no fruit from it. Are there quince bushes that just flower without fruit?

      The name Oscar really seems to fit the rotting pumpkin. I'll call it that until my husband gets his way one day and he cleans it up. I've grown very attached to the rotting mess.

      Delete
  4. Icky! Insidious! That's our weather here and how do I feel about springs late showing (hasn't shown yet here much at all)? Insolence on spring's part. I want to indulge in spring's beauty and eagerness to bloom. Not sit here in wool socks shivering and whining as the rain pours here and the mountains are drenched in feet of fresh snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're supposed to get warm weather on Saturday and I'm counting the minutes. Hope you get a break soon, also.

      Delete
  5. We're having a typical spring here in Denver... meaning that yesterday it was 79 degrees with winds like a hurricane, and tomorrow it's supposed to snow. They were predicting high winds for today too, but so far it's completely still out there... fingers crossed we might get to go for a bike ride!! Your photos are lovely as always, and I think you may have given a name to the little birds that frequent my feeder... junco! I'll have to go look them up and see if they live this far west.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to me that we've had a very windy early spring. I don't know if that's because it's been windier or my new house is in a windier location. All I know is that I don't like it because it makes everything colder. I hope your bike ride works out.

      Delete
    2. There's something insidious about the wind, isn't there? Here it's a double edged sword because our strong winds are chinooks, so they blow off the mountains, and since they're down sloping, they bring the warm temperatures. Of course, they also generally mean that a big storm is coming!

      Delete
    3. Even warm winds have to be tiring after a while. We're getting a warm front that's bringing our warmer weather and we may have thunder storms with it. We're slowly easing into warmer weather and all that comes with it.

      Delete

What do you think?