Sunday, February 10, 2019

Thankful Sunday, February 10, 2019

I am thankful for an afternoon of exploring.

Last week was a tough week. There's been a lot of difficult things going on for a while now that are just a part of life. Most of the time I cope well with them, but sometimes I don't. Last week was one of those weeks. Everything caught up with me and my brain was in overdrive trying to process them all. I guess that's a necessary thing then and again, but not much fun. So when the weekend came, I was ready to do something mindless with Ward.

The weather was in the low 20's F which was too cold for me to enjoy much outside, so we decided to pickup where we left off last May with our barn quilt tour. We got our map, GPS, and snacks ready and off we went.

The weather was clear and the countryside was beautiful where we were driving. Some of the area we had been through before, but some of it was brand new to us. We had easy conversation in between our stops and Ward especially loved exploring the new areas. As the sun set, we headed home where we found a pot of stew that Theo had made. A very welcome ending to a good afternoon. Just what I needed. So for an afternoon of exploring with my husband, I am thankful.

Here are barn quilts we found and the name of their quilt square design.


Churn Dash


Seven Pointed Star


Alice's Cross Stitch


Carpenter's Wheel


Dell's Prairie Girls


Log Cabin


Lone Star


Stars and Bars


Dresden Plate


Some of the quilts were on the sides of barns that were not used any more and some of them were on barns that were part of large active farms like this one.




8 comments:

  1. What a fun afternoon! I loved seeing the barn quilts! I don't think I've ever seen a seven pointed star pattern, before! I would have called the Dell's Prairie Girls quilt a Sunbonnet Sue! And how nice to come home to dinner already prepared for you!

    I hope the coming week is a better one for you. Take it one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing the barn quilts, too, and my husband loves exploring. It's a great activity for both of us. I really want to make a barn quilt for my house. My brother-in-law has done it for his house. I'll add it to my list of projects.

      I'm doing better. Last week just overwhelmed me with a lot of sorting of my mother's things, talking to my brother-in-law who has terminal cancer, addressing end of life issues with my father-in-law, helping my neighbor whose husband just died, and attending another funeral of a friend's husband who died recently. These are not new issues or going away anytime soon, but I'm working on pacing myself better

      Delete
    2. That was a lot to deal with in just one week! (((HUGS)))

      Delete
  2. Ward and Theo are so supportive of you! I'm glad you have such a great family and that they are there for you to help you through the rough patches of life. So wise of you to plan a fun afternoon and the barn quilts are really neat!

    I've been thinking about your last Thankful post lately--we dodged a bullet and didn't lose power, but so many in our area are still waiting for the electricity to turn back on and we have another storm coming tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the others in your area get their electric back soon. When there are frigid temps is a particularly bad time to lose power. Are there shelters set up for those who need it?

      The Midwest has been hit hard this winter. We are getting the same storms, but in a milder form. Right now we are in the middle of two days of wintry mix--snow, sleet, freezing rain, rain. I'd rather have snow than the freezing rain. But each day we should go above freezing which will give a chance for things to thaw although that hasn't happened on our driveway yet. Good luck with the next storm.

      Delete
    2. Yes, there are many warming shelters in the area. It looks like we are more likely to get snow tonight and tomorrow--the freezing rain will go to the south. I agree with you, I much prefer snow to ice!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I think they are very pretty. I see them then and again on random barns and houses, but it's nice when they put a trail of them together.

      Delete

What do you think?