Friday, March 28, 2014

Food Waste Friday and True Food Confessions--Mar. 28, 2014

It's time for Food Waste Friday, when the Frugalgirl encourages us to post pictures from the previous week of wasted food from our household. This accountability hopefully will help us to be more careful with our food and maybe save some money. Also, I am using this public forum to encourage us to eat out less which includes better meal planning. You can follow how we are doing in this endeavor by reading True Food Confessions


This Week's Food Waste


A Tomato

I have a suspicion that this tomato was starting to rot before I brought it home. Luckily, the others in the bunch have held up. Otherwise, we were good to go this week. :)



This Week's True Food Confessions



Do you know what happens when you go to the grocery store when you're thirsty and hungry? You buy a lot of juicy, sweet fruit and a couple of vegetables for good measure. So guess what? We've been enjoying a lot of fresh fruit this week. :)

Also, I got asked an interesting question recently when a friend was seeing our redone kitchen for the first time. After the proper ooohs and ahs, she asked if I liked cooking any better in my new space. Without hesitation, I said no. However, I have been thinking about that question since then. While I enjoy being in my kitchen more, I do not like cooking more. You know how they say (whoever they are) that you should trust your first reaction? Well, I guess it's true in this case.

Do you find that your first response to something is often the right one? 

Until next time...






10 comments:

  1. Yor true food confessions look delicious today! So fresh and inviting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were good. The key was that I cut everything up and ready to eat. Sometimes we waste fruit because no ones prepares it. Silly, but it happens.

      Delete
  2. I've been hitting the produce sales for the past month or so. We are so hungry for fresh produce. Looking at your pictures makes me salivate.

    I think you are right, for the most part, about your first reaction. I do enjoy cooking more in my new kitchen since some of the frustrations I had previously have been fixed--I have more countertop room and many items are handier to get to--but I like putzing in my kitchen, especially baking, anyway. I think what I appreciate most about my kitchen is that it is so much lighter now--we get a lot of overcast weather so brighter spaces lighten my mood. If you don't enjoy cooking or baking, you could have every beautiful item and innovation possible and it isn't going to make you love something you never liked to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like many things about my new kitchen--the bigger window, better counter tops, better floor, but the process of cooking holds no more allure than it did before. Therefore, I enjoy being in my new space much more, but I don't enjoy cooking in it much more.

      I would guess the lighting really makes a big difference in your new kitchen, Kris. Better lighting makes a difference everywhere. I am glad you are enjoying the results of the hard work and inconvenience that went into updating your kitchen.

      Delete
  3. Oh... that picture has me drooling!

    In terms of the first reactions... I think it's a mixed bag. The first reaction generally gets to the emotion that's on the surface, but often I find that the emotions hanging out in easy reach have very little to do with what's going on at the moment. Usually they just represent my default stance, which honestly has more to do with childhood baggage than the situation at hand. Of course, maybe that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emotional baggage certainly blurs everything. For example, if someone has a reaction, but questions it because of difficult things that have happened in the past, then that person will always be in a constant state of limbo not knowing what feeling to trust. Life is just too complicated. Let's go back to looking a pictures of fresh fruit. :)

      Delete
    2. Ha! Thank you for the laugh... lusting over fresh fruit is certainly easier! :-)

      Delete
  4. Even if you don't like to cook (and I've been in a bit of a slump myself), you've had some excellent fruit choices in the house this week. Your trip to the store, hungry and thirsty, was much more admirable than mine have been. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how that happened, but maybe it will happen again. Hungry and thirsty in the store often means some chips and a drink. Good, but not so good for you.

      Delete

What do you think?