Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Ordinary Treasures--maple syrup crystals

Every once in a while I find an ordinary thing that happens everyday but strikes me as wondrous. I found one of these recently in a jar of maple syrup in my refrigerator--large sugar crystals.  I know I can melt these back down, but I think I will just admire them instead.

Maple sugar crystals. They are about 1/2" high and about 1" long.

What everyday wondrous thing have you noticed recently?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now for the rest of the story.

--The maple syrup that I found these in was some that my father made. There was a lot of work that went into that endeavor starting with tapping the trees. For me, that makes them even more special.

--Also, I had a crystallography class in college, and I exercised some very rusty parts of my brain trying to classify them in the right system, etc.



6 comments:

  1. I've never had this happen with my maple syrup - it must be because it's homemade and not processed as much. I'm sure homemade is more delicious as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big fan of maple flavor, but I love this syrup. I think homemade may be the factor.

      Delete
  2. First of all, I think that's an amazing thing that your father would make maple syrup, the old timer's way. I didn't think anyone did that recently.
    Second, when I read the first bit of your post, on my reader, I thought you were going to say that you found these on one of your walks (and they look huge in the photo, so imagine my wonder and amazement).
    Anyways, neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father did a lot of amazing things that way because he loved the outdoors and growing things. He also made molasses by starting with growing the sugar cane.

      Delete
  3. I remember making our own maple syrup when we were kids.It's been a while since I saw the crystals like this :)....

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?