Thursday, October 11, 2012

Food Waste Friday and True Food Confessions--Oct. 12, 2012

 It's time for Food Waste Friday, when the Frugalgirl encourages us to post pictures from the previous week of wasted food from our household. This accountability hopefully will help us to be more careful with our food and maybe save some money. Also, I am using this public forum to encourage us to eat out less which includes better meal planning. You can follow how we are doing in this endeavor by reading True Food Confessions.


 This Week's Food Waste


After many weeks, we finally have a week with no waste. Hooray! In the past, produce always seemed to be our nemesis, but not this week. All of tomatoes that were ripening on the counter are finally gone, so I think that helped. Also, we didn't bring any new produce into the house except apples which also helped.




This Week's True Food Confessions


"Once again, plans to cook a grand dinner were dashed on the rocks of apathy and proximity to a Chipotle."

I borrowed these words from Eddie's Facebook page because they perfectly explain our day yesterday. No one was interested in cooking, so we had Chipotle. However, I will say that we are having fewer of those days than we used to. We went away for the weekend to Miss Landers' cabin and planned ahead for our food there. It was nice to come back from the Apple Harvest Festival and find chili in the crock pot and wake up the next morning to bacon and eggs. Although we didn't have a menu planned this week, we managed to cook a big pot of tuna mac which, along with leftovers from the weekend, kept us at home for our other meals.


12 comments:

  1. Hey -- congratulations!
    Produce and dairy are what's aging rapidly in our house. We're doing our best to eat it all up. I may have to go back to chopping and freezing (I was hoping I was done with that for the season).
    But good job to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't seem to have much problem with dairy around here. However, vegetables--now that's another story. Good luck with your produce.

      Delete
  2. I love the quote.
    Congrats on no food waste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the quote too. It succinctly explains exactly how we operate around here.

      Delete
  3. I'm actually one who hates to eat out, it's just not relaxing. But if out the only place that attracts me is Chipotle the food is so simple and similar to what I eat at home. Doesn't mean I want to stay there to have my food though :-)

    Good job on no food waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I actually prefer takeout also. However, my husband prefers relaxing in a restaurant. I eat, then I'm done. He likes to linger. I think I could stand to relax a little more.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on no food waste! I love weeks like this:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Let's see if I can make it two weeks in a row.

      Delete
  5. I just wouldn't want to see people NOT getting fruits and veggies to avoid wasting them later on. There's a balance between health and waste that has to be made. If an apple a day keeps the doctor away, then one extra apple in the compost heap doesn't spell failure. Actually, I think if it goes in the compost, it's not waste -- it's just being used in a different way. That only works for fruits and veggies (that left over ground meat shouldn't touch the compost bin, but a little extra cilantro does a compost bin good :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree that eating veggies and fruits is more important than worrying about waste. I live with a family of carnivores who do not gravitate to veggies on their own so I try not to buy vegetables I know they won't eat. However recently, they have decided that they like kale. Yea!

      Delete
  6. I know I'm late but congratulations on no waste :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm on my way to trying to save things from Waste Land for this week. Yesterday, I save some tomatoes with a batch of salsa.

      Delete

What do you think?