Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Second Look--September 26, 2012

We continue to have beautiful fall weather with cool nights, warm days, and occasional rain. A few of the flowers are still blooming, however I have noticed the insect activity has decreased around them. Before there might have been dozens of bees, butterflies, and ants on the sedum, but now there are only a few bees and an occasional butterfly at any one time.

Once again, in this time between the summer and fall, I am not finding as many photo-worthy things to share with you. However, my Second Look walk was productive from another point of view. There were quite a few branches blown down during the last rain storm and I picked up most of them. It was a good workout which can be as mood lifting as taking time to smell the roses (or do a second look.)

Here's What I Saw This Week.

The blossoms on this hydrangea bush are turning darker red.


I went out yesterday to cut down the dried up and mostly dead coneflowers, but couldn't when I saw this butterfly on one of the last blooms.


I found a balloon flower just opening up which is rare for me. Usually, I see only the bud or the fully opened flower.


Milkweed bugs on milkweed seed pod. I saw the eggs for these earlier in the season.



Single French Marigold



The grass I planted is finally starting to come up.


Most of my time this week was spent picking up sticks.


2 comments:

  1. The flowers look beautiful. That hydrangea looks so healthy. Mine are dried up and shriveled (I didn't water anything that was just ornamental this year). I need to get out and collect sticks for fires this week, before the rains come back! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely that time of year when we have to search for the little things we enjoy seeing before they are gone. I was outside yesterday, in between the rain, doing just that. The biggest surprise we had was finding 4 ripe and ready to eat strawberries, I really thought they were done for the season.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?