Friday, September 7, 2012

A Second Look Follow Up

or What's that bug?

Webworm moth

In the last Second Look post, I didn't have a chance to identify all of the pictures as I usually do. Now that I've had a bit of time to do research, I have identified the yellow and white bug that was on my sedum. It is an ailanthus webworm moth. The bright colors you see are the upper wings of the moth that it has folded around itself. The hidden bottom wings are a nondescript brown.

The webworm moth is native to South Florida where its host, the Paradise Tree, grows. However, it has found another host which has brought it to my area in the Mid Atlantic--the Tree of Heaven. The Tree of Heaven is a fast growing, invasive tree with soft wood and  leaves that smell like rotten peanut butter. However, woodpeckers seem to like it for making nest cavities--in my yard anyway.

After noticing the webworm moth for the first time this week, I have seen several more on the sedum. However, I have not yet seen one with its wings spread. Maybe soon.

Until next week.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ailanthus_webworm
http://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.asp?identification=Ailanthus-Webworm-Moth

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! And your sedum looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Besides looking at things in a more positive way, I am learning a lot doing a Second Look.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?