Monday, October 21, 2019

Random thoughts

Time for another random post of whatever jumps into my head. Well, not actually that because even I don't think I could make sense of all of the thoughts that bounce around in my head. I guess it would more appropriate to say that this is a post with no theme, no purpose, no main idea. One that would probably fail as an English assignment. But thankfully, those days are behind me, so let me ramble on.

I've had my first cold-weather cold. I could have picked it up anywhere, but I suspect it was the system-wide work meeting I went to last Monday with a couple of hundred other people. I was pretty miserable for a while, but I am on the tail end of it now. Perhaps the hardest part of the whole malady was not going to work for a couple of days. I could have functioned and done what I needed to do at work so it was hard to stay away. But I have finally learned that it is not being fair to my co-workers if I show up sick with something that I can spread to them. And maybe I would have been fooling myself to think that I could have functioned just fine, because I did more daytime sleeping than I ever remember doing while I was home those couple of days.

Last weekend, I acted on impulse and bought a bag of 50 tulip bulbs from Costco. My thinking went something like this. The picture is so pretty on the bag. And I love tulips in the spring. And we don't have any. And it won't take that long to plant them. And the price is good. So into the basket they went. However, there was one detail I forgot about when I was convincing myself that I just had to have them. I didn't have any beds with the right sunlight to plant them in. I was so proud of myself that I got down to business and prepared a new planting spot. But then there was a second problem that reared it's ugly head. The bulbs needed to be planted 6 inches deep and every inch I dug was filled with rocks, some big, some little, but all spade stopping size. I enlisted Ward's help and with a total of 4 man-hours, we planted 39 bulbs. I'm not sure where the other 11 will go, but by golly, the ones that are already planted better come up next spring and be beautiful just like the picture on the bag she says with a sneer instead a twinkle in her eye. It may take another couple of days before I get back to appreciating the time I spent in nature planting some of her wonders. :)

Recently on vacation, Ward and I visited Glade Creek Mill in Babcock State Park in West Virginia. The mill and its surroundings create a very photogenic scene and have been photographed many times. I was happy on this visit that I finally got to take my own picture of it. Lili of Creative Savv suggested that it would make a good jigsaw puzzle and I agreed. I thought it would make a perfect gift for Ward for Christmas since he loves to work puzzles. I have done this before with other pictures we have taken and found that if you get more than a 100 or so pieces, it can be very expensive.  Anyway, as I was researching "homemade" puzzles both on the internet and in our puzzle supply, guess what I found? A 1000 piece puzzle of the Glade Creek Mill. I don't remember having it, but in my defense, Ward is in charge of what is in our puzzle inventory. So I don't think I need to make another puzzle of that scene. I'll cross that one off my list of To Do's before Christmas. Now what am I going to replace that idea with? Think. Think. Think. Nope, I've got nothing.

Last night we had a few family and friends over to celebrate my sister's birthday. It was fairly low key with help from several directions. However, I think was the biggest help to me, was Theo. Because I have been staying away from the kitchen while I've been sick, I told him what we had planned so far and he took care of everything including the shopping and preparing. And for that I am thankful.

Being thankful seems like a good place to end, until next time...



14 comments:

  1. Ugh, colds. Such a relatively minor illness but they sure can make you feel miserable. I caught one a few weeks ago and it took me a good 3 weeks to feel better. Hope you continue to be on the mend.

    I don't know if you use Shutterfly for your pictures, but once you set up an account with them, they frequently send out freebie offers. I have made several puzzles using their service--they make nice gifts and all I pay is shipping. The freebies seem to be for the 50 piece and 256 piece puzzles--any bigger than that and you have to pay full price, although they are constantly having 50% sales so I bet you could get a larger one that's pretty affordable. I know you have already found the puzzle you thought about making in your own stash, but you might want to poke around the Shutterfly website--you might find something else there that would make a fun gift for Ward.

    Another place I have recently discovered is the Society 6 website. Artists can sell their wares on this site--I was looking for a new bedspread for my daughter's birthday and wasn't finding anything that appealed to me and then I stumbled on the site and I've been hooked. They make artist's images into a bazillion different things--I already mentioned bedspreads--you can find bedding, rugs, glassware, prints .... but as a head's up to anyone reading this, this is not a site where I would feel comfortable with children peering over my shoulder. Some of the items are more "adult" or controversial.

    I don't have good luck with tulips. They only seem to last about a year. I should buy some daffodil bulbs ..... if I remember ... haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Shutterfly a long time ago, but no longer get their emails. The smaller size puzzles don't suit what I need, but 50% off might. Collage.com has some really good discounts this time of year. The couple of times I've had puzzles made I've used them. I'll check out Shutterfly as I look around. What was the quality of the puzzles pieces with Shutterfly? That's hard to judge when ordering on line.

      I've never heard of Society6, but gave them a brief look. It's definitely an interesting place. Let's see if I remember to look there next time I buy something more than furnace filters online.

      I've had mixed results with tulips. In general from what I read, the newer the cultivar, the less likely they are to come back year after year. I have high hopes for these even though they're new.

      Delete
    2. I've felt like the puzzles have been fairly good quality but I'm not exactly a puzzle connoisseur. (I had to look up how to spell that!). Maybe you should stick with Collage.com if you have had good luck with them.

      Delete
    3. I just out one of the puzzles we got from collage.com to work again to see how the quality is because Ward couldn't remember. I don't want to get one if it's aggravating to work because the pieces don't fit or won't stay together well.

      Delete
  2. Hope you feel better soon. My stepson likes puzzles. He has done 3D ones. Also I love Costco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for a lingering cough that often comes from colds, I am much better. Costco can be a dangerous place. They sell such interesting things.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry you've been sick. That first cold of the season always takes me by surprise. Summer's lack of viruses fools me into believing that I am super-healthy and invincible. I'm glad you're on the mend now.
    I was at the store the other day, hoping to find tulips, and they were all sold out! Glad for you, though, to now have something to look forward to in spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to not add too much maintenance when I am adding things to the yard, but I am adding things here and there for a nice surprise or bit of color the next season. These tulips meet those criteria. Hopefully as you keeping looking around you will find some tulip bulbs. And if you do, they might be on clearance. :)

      Delete
  4. Hope you recover from your cold, soon. It was good of you to stay home from work - both to get some rest and to keep the germs from spreading. I'm glad that Theo was able to help you with the party preparations! Ask him if he's willing to do prayer gathering dinners! :D

    Tulips are a one-time deal here. Our winters don't get cold enough for them to get chilled in order to come back up and re-bloom on subsequent years. I planted several bulbs the first year I was in this house and not after that. Same with the daffodils (although, some of them did come up the following year). I suppose I could have dug up the bulbs and chilled them in the fridge, but, that was too much work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I lived in New Orleans it wasn't cold enough for tulips to come back year after year. I had friends who dug them up every fall and stored the bulbs in their vegetable drawer in their fridge, then planted them in the spring. At the time, I thought that sounded crazy, but I think I might do it now if I were to move to a warmer climate.

      Delete
  5. That is so funny to find a puzzle of the puzzle you wanted to make. That is just cracking me up tonight. I hate colds. I haven't had one in awhile. Sorry you got one. They're awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you would say that we have an embarrassment of riches if we already have something we plan to buy. Or we have too much stuff. Either way, I glad I amused you. :)

      Delete
  6. I know the tulips will be worth the effort in the spring, as long as the blooming squirrels son't decide they will be very tasty and dig them up!
    Hope you feel much better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think about the squirrels while I was planting them. I'm hoping that they find the rocks too hard to dig through, also.

      Delete

What do you think?