Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Post I Never Got Around To

I sometimes have an idea for post or take a picture for one that never quite makes it to the blog. It seems I get distracted by something and forget about my idea and move on.  Then while looking for something else, I run onto them. I find it hard to find the time to develop them all, so I thought I'd do some abbreviated versions before I forget about them again. Here is my first post in the Posts I Never Got Around To series. (I plan more, but we'll see.)

A Few Pictures From Around the Yard Over the Last Month, A Second Look so to speak.

You saw another picture of these cosmos in my last post, but I wanted to elaborate on one of the comments I made there. The local Girl Scout troop did a project on bees and one of the points they made was to plant plants that attract bees. To encourage that, they made bee bombs which were soil balls embedded with seeds. I wasn't sure what was in them, but this is what came up from my bombs. I think this would be a fun project for other kids. 


Stinkhorn fungi. I found these for the first time last year in another location in the yard. They come from little white puffballs in the ground. It will be interesting to see where they pop up next year.


I got two, small, inexpensive ($1.77 each) mums from Aldi's last year that came back quite nicely this year. I especially like their round form. 


We have yellow mums in the back that were there when we moved in.


They have continued to spread and fill quite a large spot. I want to do some more with this bed, but hate to disturb the mums because they are really happy in this location.


I was going to take more pictures to go with each one of these, but, well, you know.

Until next time... :)



8 comments:

  1. It seems good to look at pictures of flowers. Everything is kind of dreary around my neck of the woods right now. I've never heard of stinkhorn fungi. Why are they called that? Do they have an odor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to remember that these pictures were taken over the last month. The leaves are finally turning and starting to fall with all of the rain and some of the flowers are starting to fade. However, while we've had frosts, we have not had a hard freeze, they are still flowers around.

      The mushroom got it's name from simple descriptors. It looks like a horn and the brown part is supposed to be stinky. However, I've never noticed the smell. And as you can guess, many people think it looks more like a part of the male anatomy than a horn.

      Delete
  2. Oh, look at all those flowers! Especially those mums! Lovely! I hope the ones I planted will grow to look like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully the mums you planted will get well established during your "colder" weather and be ready to survive the heat of the summer. They will be very pretty.

      Delete
  3. That cosmos photo is unbelievable, almost like 3D, I love it. That camera of yours has some kind of depth of focus! And the fungi photo, wow! Looks some alien sort of worm coming up to have a look around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mentioned it, it does look kind of 3-D. The camera only works on a couple of settings and takes forever before you can take the next photo, but it does come up with some good pictures from time to time.

      Those staghorn mushrooms are pretty strange. The first time I saw them, I thought they looked like part of the male anatomy.

      Delete
  4. Sorry I am just now getting around to commenting. I am either cleaning or sleeping these days, but it is just about done. I love the cosmos photo but I love cosmos. The rest of the photos are beautiful as well, but I am partial. And now I have to get back to washing woodwork. I knew the house was big but you don't realize how big until you are on your knees washing woodwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like cosmos, too. I'm going to plant them again next year.

      I know just one room of washing woodwork is hard, but I can't imagine doing the whole house at once!

      Delete

What do you think?