Friday, April 6, 2018

F is for Food Rules

Are you as confused by all of the advice out there these days on the best way to eat to live forever? I am. However, I found a book that explains good eating in terms I can understand, Food Rules, an eaters manual by Michael Pollen. He wrote the book in 2009, but I think it's still relevant today.


Here are a few of his rules:

No. 13  Eat only foods that will eventually rot.

No. 19  If it came from a plant, eat it: if it was made in a                 plant, don't.

No. 20  It's not food if it arrived through the window of                   your car.

No. 45  It's not food if it's called by the same name in                       every language
              (Think Big Mac, Cheetos, or Pringles.)

No. 25  Eat your colors.

No. 36  Don't eat breakfast cereals that change the color                 of the milk.

No. 39  Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself.

No. 45  Eat less.

And my favorite:
No. 64  Break the rules once in a while.

Do you have any rules you try to follow for eating?





8 comments:

  1. I LOVE Michael Pollan. I think my favorite rule of his is "Don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize as food." My grandmother was a wonderful cook - she ran several restaurants in her day, and she's my great inspiration for cooking, so that rule stuck a chord with me. I try to follow it, though I don't think Grandma would have approved of my favorite veggie burgers - neither would Michael Pollan for that matter!

    At the moment I'm trying to drop a few pounds since it's easier to haul your ass over the hills on a bike if you've got less ass to haul! So my rule du jour is... if you would normally use rice or pasta, substitute cooked squash, cabbage, or cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a couple of his books and like the research that he does for them. Also, I like your rule du jour. We're trying to eat fewer carbs in the form of rice and pasta and potatoes, but that cuts out a lot of dishes. Currently, we have two heads of cabbage in the fridge, so we'll see where it gets subbed

      Delete
  2. I should follow the rule of low carbs and less fat, but I am not having much success. Lack of willpower, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carbs and fat taste good and therefore are in all of my favorite foods. The only way I resist them is to not have them around.

      Delete
    2. There's also a physical component... the blood sugar rush you get from simple carbs & sugar is physically addicting. When I'm trying to get "un-carbed" I find that the first few weeks are a bit like torture, but after that I stop craving them and it gets much, much easier. Not having them around helps a lot though - that way you only have to maintain will power when you're at the store! :)

      Delete
    3. When the simple carbs are paired with fats, I don't get quite the same sugar rush as I do with just the sugars. That is I don't get the same ups and downs but I do get more tired at the end of the day if I've had very many sweets. My major downfall at this point is the candy jar at work. It always seems to be filled with chocolate which is pretty hard to resist.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. They are fun, simple, and easy to remember. Just my speed.

      Delete

What do you think?