Wednesday, April 4, 2018

D is for DNA

A few posts ago, I made some provocative statements about finding a new relative. Of course there were questions about what the rest of the story was. I can't tell a lot of it because it's not my story to tell, but I'll try to explain what I can.

In short, through DNA and Ancestry.com, I got a new close relative. Below are the details. Or as many as I can tell. Feel free to skim or skip ahead.

My sister, let's call her Mary Ellen, had been researching our genealogy for several years and as part of that, she had her DNA tested and the results entered into to the Ancestry.com data base. In general, testing provides a breakdown of ethnicity, e.g., Irish-20%, Native American--20%, etc,. and tells you how likely it is that you are related to someone else who is in the data base. For example, your notice could say that a certain person is a 3rd or 4th cousin of yours with high confidence, or low confidence. However it's up to the parties involved if they want to be in contact with each other and share any information. One will contact the other through Ancestry and if the other party is interested, they will respond.

This picture is part of both the past
and present stories.
One day Mary Ellen received a notice that there was a very high confidence that someone was closely related to her. Up until this point, she had been able to figure out how different notices of both distant and close relatives fit into the family trees. But this one was a mystery. Mary Ellen didn't know who they were, so she contacted the other party, let's call them Cathy, to get more information.

As it turns out, Cathy was administering the information for someone, let's call him Abraham, whom she was convinced was related to her because of the many things they had in common. Cathy had Abraham take a DNA test to confirm this.  It turned out that Abraham was not related to Cathy at all, but he was related to us. Mary Ellen starting sleuthing to figure out what was going on. She talked to close and distant family members as well as studying all of her old notes. When my sister thought she might have the answer, she convinced another one of our relatives, let's call her Beatrix to take a DNA test to test her hypothesis. And Mary Ellen was right.

Or in short, a man we thought was our grandfather wasn't, and some other stranger was.

Suddenly, many things from the past became a lot clearer. Big things and subtle things we had never noticed before, now made sense. It took a while for all of us to process this new data. Our family story that we had identified with forever was now different. It was a strange feeling.

In the midst of readjusting our thinking, I realized something important. Colon cancer was no longer in our family history and we could have colonoscopies on a regular schedule now instead of an accelerated one. That was certainly an unexpected blessing.

The whole story is much more complicated than I have explained here, But that's what I've got to share at this point in time.

Have you had any surprises in your family history?







14 comments:

  1. Ah, you have left us wanting the rest of the story. It is fascinating isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very interesting. There have been subtle hints along the way in hindsight as if someone was trying leave a trail about the truth.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I had my DNA done a while back - my brother got it for me as a gift on my 50th birthday. It was through National Geographic rather than ancestry... so it didn't carry the possibility of contacting long lost relatives. The interesting part was that even though my Dad's family is entirely Italian & Slovenian, that part of the globe didn't show up at all in my genes. Hmmm... I have actually thought for a very long time that my dad might not actually be my biological father. I'm not sure if I really want to know the answer to that question or not, but the results of the test did intrigue me further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biology of your father doesn't really matter since your father is the one who raised you, but I'd be curious. I have a friend whose background suggests that the person whom she thought was her father was not and he father was really her step father. However, her mother is elderly and she's not going to ask her about it now.

      Did your brother take the tests? Did he get similar results?

      Delete
  3. In my case with ancestry.com, at first it looked as if 2 of my grandparents were NOT the grandparents! Upon much closer analysis, our family history was very much broader geographically than previously thought, and contained all 3 of the the "big" religions that originated in the Middle East, as well as DNA smatterings of "outlier" countries from Sweden to Morocco to Azerbaijan ...was just sorry my folks were deceased as they would have laughed their heads off! Ex-Amish and Sephardic, they were!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genes can combine in interesting ways. I only have 4% British while all of my sisters and mother have at least 40%. Sounds like you had some similar differences in your family.

      Delete
  4. Definitely different, this tale of where DNA led you. I can only guess someone slept with someone else, but was married to or then married someone else, or someone was adopted and didn't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I am enjoying your letter themed comments of the day. :)

      None of your guesses about what happened are quite right, but you're playing in the right ballpark.

      Delete
  5. It's fascinating what DNA can reveal, isn't it? Even if it is that families can be more complicated than we first assume! I haven't had my DNA checked though. Daughter did some tests during one of her labs in undergrad (she majored in Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics) and claims her test results showed she was Japanese! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Japanese on her father's side? Controls not that good in an undergrad lab? I don't think we should take the genetic backgrounds too seriously. However, I think the reliability is pretty good for close family relationships or I don't think they'd use it in court.

    What kind of job does your daughter have with her background?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one even remotely Japanese in her family! My step-dad had Chinese ancestry but there is no biological connection. I think it was wishful thinking on her part (she loves all things Japanese; she minored in Asian Languages/Japanese).

      Her Masters is in Epidemiology and Bio-Statistics. She works as a data management analyst, for a nutrition policy institute, analyzing data pertaining to the results of various nutrition programs, such as school lunches, promoting more nutritional drinks (as opposed to soda), accessibility of fresh produce to those receiving food benefits, etc.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like very interesting work.

      Delete
  7. June - Very interesting. One thing about Ancestry and long-lost cousins making themselves known to you are some potential awkward bits of history that one side of an old family, or their descendants, might not know of.

    I have an ancestor whose brother worked for their sibling in a small town business. The word that has been passed down on our side of the family is that this brother was caught by the sibling's spouse with his hand in the till (of the business). The brother and his spouse and offspring had to leave town and settle elsewhere. The brother eventually got his life on track and had a great job from which he retired. He had many descendants. However, all of them were out of the picture for our side of the family. I've recently had one of the descendants contact me about family info. I am happy that they have and look forward to the renewed family connection. However, chances are this person is never going to hear our side's heresay story about the original event (at least from me). It sure makes genealogy interesting, and delicate. Hopefully, one of my near cousins won't spill the beans (it was a big enough deal that my grandperson made it a point never to have anything to do with the "original brother" of my grandperson's parent).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be interesting if they didn't know anything about the hand in the till story or it was not big deal in their family. You'll have to let me know how it goes.

      One of my great uncles just up and left his present family one day and started a new one in a new place. Through her research my sister was able to put the two families in touch with each other. They were interested in finding each other, but there were definitely some feelings to sort out.

      Delete

What do you think?