Monday, October 28, 2013

Let the Fun Begin

or We will finally have level floors.



For years, or actually since we first moved into this house 16 years ago, the uneven floors in the kitchen have bothered me. They are structurally sound, but are uneven. Uneven enough that we've only had one choice for flooring--vinyl because it will bend easily over the ups and downs. I decided that it is finally time that they get leveled. Well when you start looking at floors, one flows into the other, moldings multiply, and cabinets have to be moved. In other words, a major upheaval. Four rooms of stuff need to be compressed into one with some overflow to the garage. All major appliances are out of commission as well as the water from time to time.The cats are in only the basement for a few weeks and they are not happy.

The actual construction/deconstruction began this morning. We're not sure how the food thing will work, but we've put some things in the basement. We still have one room of stuff to move including this computer. If you don't hear from my for awhile, I'm lost in the world of new-things-to-come.



15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We'll see. Right now it seems overwhelming, but I hopes that turns into a fun camping-like experience.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear me! You are braver than I am! We've lived with unlevel floors since we moved in 18 years ago. Ours is a foundation sinking thing, but it has stabilized. We occasionally talk about having the back corner lifted and fixed, but i'm not ready yet!

    Good luck with all of this!

    When we redid our kitchen several years ago, we set up a temp kitchen in the entry hall, on our kitchen table, with a hot plate and toaster oven. I used a picnic cooler to hold perishable stuff for the day, going out to the garage to get things once or twice per day, as we'd plugged in our old fridge out there. I washed dishes in the bathroom sink. It all worked in the end. So there's hope for your project too! I feel most badly for your kitties, though. They will not be happy with this! But you already know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a microwave and a toaster oven and ice chests in the basement but we haven't figured out the whole food thing yet. The rest of the family wants to eat out all of the time (this is really nothing out of the ordinary), but we can't do that for several weeks. Tonight is okay, but part of the time it will difficult to get to the basement.

      After

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It didn't start out so big, but if we're going to do it right, it is.

      Delete
  4. Holy Moly! That sounds like a major upheaval indeed! And I think you have pretty much described the main reason that I'm still living with avocado green shag carpeting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like shag carpeting. It never looks dirty--at least from my experience. :)

      Delete
  5. I am sharing your feelings of being overwhelmed ... we are waiting for our new kitchen cabinets/countertop/etc. to come in. Then we will be joining you in chaos-land. I hate upheaval, especially in my home. I keep telling myself it will be worth it all--meanwhile, I am packaging up cupboard items and cooking and freezing meals that we can nuke (I'm pretty sure I will be un-green during all of this and succumb to the convenience of paper plates!). We will both think this is all worth it in the end, right?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 1-bowl suppers became famous in our house, when we redid the kitchen. We each used one bowl for all of dinner. First course was soup. When everyone finished their soup, a rice or pasta dish was added to the bowl. When the rice or pasta was finished, cobbler went in the bowl. Fewer dishes to wash.

      Delete
    2. Ha! I think most of our meals will fit in either a tortilla or a bun. We aren't reconfiguring our kitchen, just replacing cabinetry and all that goes with it, so hopefully it won't be too long of a process!

      Delete
    3. Lili,
      You were a little more organized than I am. I don't know how it will evolve over the weeks, but right now our one bowl meals are just soup.

      Delete
    4. I thought we'd might be using paper products all of the time, but we've figured out a way to wash dishes involving the laundry sink and the washing machine. However, the bending over involved is killing our backs, so I think we'll end up with paper part of the time.

      Delete

What do you think?