Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A Second Look--June 5, 2013

Here are a few things I saw this week during a Second Look.

Blanket flower (Gaillardia)



The bees are really enjoying the flowers (sage).




Dead Nettle (Lamium m. Aureum)



Day Lily (Stella dora)



Piliated woodpecker. This is by far the most impressive woodpecker that visits our feeders.




Once again, it's hard to make out much from this pile of baby sparrows, but they are continuing to mature. The pictures were taken a few days apart.



6 comments:

  1. We have the same type of woodpecker in our area. Whenever I see one of them I think of Woody Woodpecker.

    I should really go take a look around our yard. I've just been focusing on a few problem areas. Although, I did take time to cut some roses yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think of Woody Woodpecker and his cartoon cry when I see this kind of woodpecker. It doesn't come all of the time, so it's a thrill when it does show up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love the picture of a woodpecker! And a bee on this sage plant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love watching the big woodpecker. The only problem is that he has a hearty appetite. We have to replace the suet almost everyday.

      Delete
  4. I love seeing the baby birds growing up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a nest that I could get better pictures from. This nest is in a dark nest box. The sparrow parents don't seem to mind me looking at their offspring. However, the bluebird mother dive bombed me every time I opened the box to look at her young.

      Delete

What do you think?