Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Second Look--September 12, 2012

Here's a few things I've observed this week during a Second Look. We have been enjoying beautiful weather. I feel like this is our reward for enduring the hot weather last week and the storms on Saturday. The sedum is blooming in all of its glory and is filled with bees and other insects. The cows have moved back into the field behind us and there are several older calves that aren't sure what to make of me. They don't run away as fast as the older cattle, but do run when signaled by their elders.

Here's what I saw this week during a Second Look.

Marigolds and sedum



A few of the insects I saw on the sedum



Acorns brought down by the storm




Pine cones brought down by the storm

 

Cattle have moved back into the field behind me.



This was a young one who wasn't sure if he should be afraid of me or not.



4 comments:

  1. Hi live and learn,
    The sedum and marigolds look beautiful together!
    If it were me, I'd be scooping up the acorns to dry for craft projects. I was out on Sunday checking the oaks near us and found a handful, but it's still a bit early. I get almost giddy about finding acorns here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These acorns aren't very big although they are bigger than we usually get. We usually don't see many acorns although we have several oak trees. Maybe the squirrels have something to do with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our marigolds did wonderfully this year, even with the heat and lack of rain. I love what you see on your second look. Today I sat under the sumac trees listening to a woodpecker pecking away above my head. It took me a few minutes to find him in the foliage, but there he was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woodpeckers seem to come and go at our feeder. We'll seem them everyday for a couple of weeks, and then won't see them for a month or so. I don't know where they go in the meantime. Maybe someone else has better stuff in their feeder.

      Delete

What do you think?