Friday, June 7, 2013

Food Waste Friday and True Food Confessions-June 7, 2013

It's time for Food Waste Friday, when the Frugalgirl encourages us to post pictures from the previous week of wasted food from our household. This accountability hopefully will help us to be more careful with our food and maybe save some money. Also, I am using this public forum to encourage us to eat out less which includes better meal planning. You can follow how we are doing in this endeavor by reading True Food Confessions. 

This Week's Food Waste
None that I could find.


This Week's True Food Confessions


Now let me see. It seems as if we have been cooking and eating at home most of the time this week, but I can't seem to find pictures for it. Upon more careful consideration, I guess Ward and I had lunch out on Saturday while we were on our garden tour. Leftovers from that were served another time. Another day this week, Wally had some good news, so he treated everyone to California Tortilla. Tonight we are having pizza from Aldis. Other times we have had stir fry and baked salmon that we actually cooked. 

And over the weekend, I tried a recipe I got from Lili at Creative Savv--Guacamole Salad Bowl. Lili is trying to eat more fish and this recipe is one she likes that includes tuna. The recipe was a no brainer as far as I was concerned. It had lettuce, tomato, black olives, cheese, guacamole, tuna, and FRITOS. It's been years since I have had those greasy, delightful chips, so when I saw this recipe, I knew we had to make it. It was a hit with everyone and the big bowl of salad was gone in no time. (Maybe a record for the Carnivores.) However, if I were to make it again, I would add the Fritos on top just before I served it so they would be crunchier, and I would use chicken instead of tuna. I'm with Lili. I don't like fish that much. 

Until next time...


14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Asparagus has been in season here, so we've been having it quite a bit.

      Delete
  2. Yum, I like the look of the asparagus :) And congrats on no waste - you're so good at that now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I cooked as much as you do, I might have more waste.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad your family liked the salad. I am working my way up with fish. A very slow process for me. We have a large box of smoked salmon in the pantry that was a gift this last holiday season. I'm a bit nervous about opening it up, without being certain that I will want to eat it a few times.

    Did I see you mention on another blog that you and Ward have a vacation planned? Is that coming up soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG... I LOVE smoked salmon... as in I think I could totally live on smoked salmon! Didn't you mention that you bought some nori recently? Smoked salmon goes fantastically in sushi/sashimi rolls with avocado, cucumber, red pepper & cream cheese. Totally yummy!

      Delete
    2. We're slowly working into salmon. Let me rephrase that. I'm slowly working into salmon. The rest of the family loves it. Maybe I'll ask my sister about helping me to make some sashimi rolls. She used to live in Japan and is quite knowledgeable.

      BTW, Ward and I are leaving on Sunday for New Mexico.

      Delete
    3. live and learn, have a fantastic time in New Mexico! Take pictures, lots and lots of pictures! I'll be arm-chair traveling all month, between you and Economies of Kale!

      Cat, yes, I bought nori, as an impulse! Of all the impulse buys, why did I choose nori? I have no clue. It took us several years to finish of the last packet. Okay, so sushi may just work. The avocado may mask the flavor enough for me.

      Delete
  4. Your stir-fry looks delicious! We will have salmon tonight :) It was on the menu yesterday but FIL decided to take us out. I don't like tuna in salads much, just in sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you really like your salmon. Do you have a favorite way of cooking it?

      Delete
  5. I hear you on the fish...just not my favorite thing in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That may be why you had some fish waste this week. Fried fish from some place like Long John Silvers is not too bad. However, I'm not sure that it's that good for you.

      Delete
  6. It all looks yummy!

    Speaking of fish, I just made one of my very favorite fish recipes the other day. Baked white fish (cod, pollock, or any mild white fish) florentine.

    It's really easy. You just make a white cream/cheese sauce (make a roux, add some milk and grated cheese) and pour it over pieces of fish on a bed of spinach (I use frozen spinach - defrost it first.) I add a dash of cayenne & paprika on top with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and bake for about 25 minutes until the fish is done. YUMMY, and not too fishy tasting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That actually sounds pretty good. The key is getting white fish that is very bland, not so much of that fishy taste.

      Delete

What do you think?