Sunday, November 10, 2019

Thankful Sunday, November 10, 2019

I am thankful for a walk in the woods.

Yesterday was a beautiful fall day. Frost in the morning with warming to the 40's in the afternoon. The perfect day for a walk in the woods. While visiting family, the opportunity presented itself for this walk and I gladly accepted. 

So for the quiet and calm walk I took yesterday in the woods, I am thankful.














And a little later...


Note:
There's a great book by Bill Bryson called A Walk in the Woods that chronicles his attempt to hike the entire Appalachian Trail. The book is typical of Bryson who tells the story with humor and an occasional diversion into a lot of facts about a related subject. I have read it twice.

A couple of years ago, Robert Redford starred in a movie made based on the book which I didn't like as well as the book. The movie made a love story a main focus that was only a very small part of the book. I thought the interesting, fun part is his hiking partner and his foibles not to mention what it's like hiking for months on end.


15 comments:

  1. Do you have birch trees in your area? The third pic looks like one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have birch trees and that was a picture of a fallen one, I think. Good eyes.

      Delete
  2. Your pictures look like recent ones that I took while on a hike! I, too, love tree roots and fungi growing in the woods as well as taking pictures up the trunk of the tree to the sky. :) So glad you had a nice day and a good walk outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was especially nice because the wind wasn't blowing and I was by myself. I don't mind taking walks with others but every once in a while I like nice to be by myself.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad that you were able to go for a walk in the woods, yesterday. Lovely photos, too. But, I had to laugh about the "warming to the 40s" bit. That's still "freezing cold" in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 40 is cold, too. But a with a warm coat and a brisk walk, it's really okay. Soon, it will be much colder and I will wish desperately that it would get up to 30.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks. It was so typically fall with leaves crunching underfoot and squirrels scurrying around. I think it's a different fall than you experience where you live.

      Delete
  5. I love crisp fall days, but I am with Bless. 40 is cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are entering the time of year that once I get outside, and there aren't strong winds, I'm okay. But the first bit of cold sends me scurrying back inside. I'm trying to do better with that and Saturday was an example. I really did have a good time once I made myself go for the walk.

      Delete
  6. Great photos. I had - maybe - similar misgivings about that movie. On one hand, you realize it takes a big superstar like Redford who obviously liked Bryson's book to have the clout to get the movie made, but then you have clearly way too old Redford playing Bryson, and I wasn't enamored of Nolte playing the buddy. It clearly became a vanity production for Redford. 20 years ago - and maybe he had to wait that long to make it a reality - he probably could have done it. Of course today, they could "de-age" him, but that sure would have been creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that I wasn't thrilled with Redford and Nolte either.

      Have you read "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" ? Bill Bryson's memoir of his younger days. In that book, we meet his hiking buddy, Katz.
      If you haven't, I recommend it. Bryson was born in 1951 and is the same age as my sister. He puts in context a lot of things of the time and as usual, it's funny.

      Delete
    2. Haven't read that one, so I will check it out. My wife may have it as she is the big Bill Bryson fan in the household.

      Delete
  7. That moon photo is so beautiful. The second photo of the knobby tree trunk is also. I think when I see trees grow knobs and quirks that is an expression of their character and like wrinkles and scars we accumulate with age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you describe the meaning of a knobby tree trunk. A perfect analogy to go with people.

      Delete

What do you think?