Saturday, August 11, 2018

While I Was Gone

I went away for a few days recently and after a long drive, we arrived home after dark. The next day I was curious to see what had happened in our yard while we were gone. That's part of my routine after we go away. Unload the car, scan the mail, and check out the yard. A Second Look, so to speak. We were gone less than a week, but it was surprising to see some of the changes that happened in that short amount of time.

Here is a tour of some of the things I found.

The weather was hot and humid while we were gone with lots of rain. The begonias in front of the house thrived and had grown.


However, the pumpkin vine in the back did not survive. This was a volunteer and we had decided to let it grow wherever it wanted. It was a beautiful healthy vine when we left. 


But the zinnia along the same walk took off while we were gone. Other zinnias, planted in pots on the deck, looked only slightly better than the pumpkin vine.


The dill in the same bed also had a lot of new blooms. Before this, I had been trying to cut the blooms so it wouldn't go to seed too soon. However the bees are enjoying the new blossoms, so I may just leave them. This was also a volunteer that I transplanted from another spot.


Around the side of the house, I found grape hyacinth leaves that were coming up.


Close to there, I found the first coneflower that had all of its petals intact.  Something has been munching down on all of the coneflowers' petals making them look like Morticia Addams has been around.


In the same bed, more Black-Eyed-Susans had bloomed, but something is starting to eat the petals. Maybe our muncher has moved on from the coneflowers.


Moving away from the house, I went to check on some newly planted hostas. There I found the deer  had visited while we were gone. Another place they ate a tomato plant until it looked like no more than a stick in the ground.


Also in the back part of the yard, mushrooms had sprung up.


Moving up to the deck, the sunflower had several new blooms. This was a volunteer, too, from the bird feeders.


The bird feeders were empty.  So I filled them and made new nectar for the hummingbird feeder. 


There will be seed in the feeders as long as this squirrel and his buddies are content to eat sunflower seeds dropped into the grass. But I don't expect that to last for long. Why should they work at picking seeds out of the grass when they usually lay on the bottom of the bird feeder above and munch away?


I don't have pictures to show you everything else I found such as new poison ivy, half of an azalea bush that had died, and nearby canna lilies and marigolds which were doing well. I also found an empty bird nest, so I hope the babies successfully fledged while we were gone. And the most interesting thing I discovered was a sled filled with rainwater and hundreds of tadpoles swimming in it.



14 comments:

  1. Lovely photos as usual. I wonder what's eating your flowers though. We've had an invasion of Japanese beetles here, and they seem to LOVE flower petals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite familiar with Japanese beetles, but I think I've only seen one this year. I haven't seen anything on the flowers, but I haven't been focusing on it. These are flowers I got from friends last year that I made a bed for and there's still enough color as I walk by to make me smile. There are a lot of other places in the yard that get my attention. But now I'm curious. I have to do some investigation.

      Good luck with the Japanese beetles. They may be the bindweed of the insect world.

      Delete
    2. I actually haven't seen any of the beetles in my yard, though I do have some damage to the Virginia creeper vines which looks suspiciously like it came from them. But... I've got marigolds everywhere which helps to repel them. My stepmom, on the other hand, fears marigolds because they tend to spread (she likes to control her garden, while I prefer anything that grows on it's own and isn't a weed!) So she's had a lot more problems than I have.

      Delete
    3. Virginia Creeper vines can take over and once they do, they are impossible to get ride of. Do you have problems? I always do no matter where I live.

      It's interesting that marigolds spread there. Here they can reseed themselves, but they don't spread. They stay in approximately the same area. I love marigolds. Bright, cheery blooms that keep pests away.

      Delete
    4. Well... It does have a tendency to take over, but that was sorta why I planted it. My yard has a chain link fence, and since installing a privacy fence would have been expensive, I decided to plant Virginia creeper all along the fence - and I also added some chicken wire to extend the height to 6 feet rather than the 3 feet that it was. It's done a remarkably good job at creating a more private yard - though in the winter time when the leaves are gone it's less private. I do occasionally have to rip some or it out of the garden and other places that I don't want it, but in general, I'm happy when there's something socially acceptable that grows without requiring daily watering!

      Delete
    5. I can see that it would be a very good choice for covering a fence. Glad it's working for you.

      Delete
  2. So lovely to see all the flowers in bloom! Your garden seems to have thrived even with you gone. Much better, actually, than mine is doing with me here! Everything is burnt to a crisp, here! Even the succulents are scorched!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While we have had hot weather, it has been nothing like yours. Usually this time of year, most things get brown and grow dormant. However, all of the rain has helped some of them survive the heat and this is a much greener August than usual.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Squirrels are cute. And clever. And oh, so annoying.

      Delete
  4. Nice photos - thanks for that nice documentary. Glad that at least some of your plantings thrived while you were away, to surprise you when you returned.

    I bought a bunch of flowers/plants this year (lazy, I know, and it wasn't cheap) and planted some in the ground, some in big planters. Difficult to keep them thriving even as I watered them faithfully, tried to figure out what sun they were getting too much of or not enough of.

    Then we have had a run of so much rain that there's been no thought of watering plants. Go figure - they have all thrived and sprung back to life. I guess they like to be watered by mother nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found that plants always do better with rainwater than with hand watering just like you did. I have also found they do better in the ground than in pots. I guess Mother Nature does know what she's doing.

      Delete
    2. True... and the other day I put two of the ones in larger pots out on the grass for more sun and a hailstorm took the blooms mostly off them. I hope they'll spring back. I'll try to post some pics and maybe you can give me some tips or identification (I promptly forgot what type of flower each is, and one I bought from the rack that I thought was "last chance" but was really about to be rolled to the trash. It was a pot full of dead plant with two of those shoots having some green left, so the manager agreed that I could take them for $1, and they've thrived and sprung some red flowers.

      Delete
    3. Blogs are a great place to find out the names of flowers. I have learned the ID of several this way. I will help if I can.

      Delete

What do you think?