Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Second Look--September 11, 2013

Fall is the air--sort of. Some leaves are falling from the trees but most of them are green and hanging on. Many flowers are fading while others are just starting to bloom. (As evidenced by all of the allergy sufferers.) Last week we had a nip in the morning air, but it was 90° F and humid today. And except for the allergy part, I'm enjoying it all.

 Here's what I saw this week during my Second Look.


The sedum is in full bloom now. There were a lot yellow ants on it.




Every September in this bed of brown day lilies and tiger lilies, these Sternbergia lutea pop up to add a bit of brightness.



The hydrangea blossoms are starting to fade.




The butterflies are enjoying the second blooming of the sage. (Okay, Ward thinks this is a moth. I think it looks like a skipper butterfly, but I'm too tired to figure it out right now.)



These two late bloomers stand out among the other faded celosia.



We still have a few balloon flowers.




The volunteer marigolds continue to please.



I don't have any baby birds to show you this week, so I'll show you a bluebird feather I found.




4 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're still getting some sun at the end of summer. It was over 30C (86F) here today, not bad for the start of spring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LIz,I guess this one time of the year we are getting similar weather.

      Delete
  2. Our leaves started to change and fall then we hit a heat wave yesterday and today. Not sure what will come next. I love these pictures I find myself looking for the last spots of color myself knowing they will be gone soon. Your celosia is amazing, I don't think I've ever seen those before. The colors are so vibrant. I may have to add some here to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were all grown from seed. So maybe next year, you can get a pack or two and give them a try. There are a lot of different colors and shapes to choose from and they don't require much attention. Just my kind of plant.

      Delete

What do you think?