Sunday, November 17, 2019

Thankful Sunday, November 17, 2019

I am thankful for Alan Turing.
Image result for alan turing
biography.com

Alan Turing was a British mathematician, who is considered to be the father of computer science. He was leader of the team that cracked the supposedly unbreakable German Enigma code during World War II.  His concepts and prototype computing machine that broke the code was the beginning of our computer-filled world today.

So for Turing's brilliance that conceived the first computing machine, I am thankful.

Note:
There are many books on Alan Turing and the Bletchly Park code breaking effort during World War II. A quick Google or check of Amazon will give a list of many of them. Also, there is a movie based on Turing's life called the Imitation Game. It gives a fair picture of his life with cinematic license taken, of course.

Also, I realize that any invention always has several people involved or other people in another part of the world who may have been working on the same idea.


6 comments:

  1. I might have to read a book about his war efforts. I don't know why, but I have a fascination with WWII and what happened during the war. I don't have a mathematical mind but I sure appreciate those who do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am new to the Enigma code and Bletchly Park where Turing worked. While I had heard of the Enigma code, I didn't know much about it. What they did there was classified for 50 years and it was only in the 1990's the the story started coming out. I'm not sure what book I would recommend to start with because I haven't read much. My husband read the "Enigma Code" several years ago and really liked it. That book deals with the more technical aspects of how they broke the code, but is exciting as they describe how it happened in real time.

      I am reading the "Secret Lives of the Codebreakers" and finding it tedious at times. The book deals with what it was like to work at the very secretive Bletchly Park where the code breaking was centered and some of the technical details. While I find the subject material interesting, I find the book does not keep my attention. There are lots of antidotes and interviews from people who worked there, but not a lot to tie it into a cohesive story. However, it was an international best seller, but it might just be me. If you find something good, let me know.

      Delete
    2. Maybe in January you could have a post where we all exchange book titles--once the holidays are over would be a good time to catch up on reading and I can always use ideas! (Yes, I'm hinting heavily, haha).

      Delete
    3. I've been meaning to post about several books that I've read for a while now. Each was going to be an individual post, but as I don't get around to it, the list keeps piling up. A book post will come out sooner or later and I like the idea of exchanging ideas.

      Delete
  2. I never watched that movie but I intend to watch it. Breaking that code was a very huge deal for the allies and saved so many lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say that breaking the code may have shortened the war by two years.
      I got a copy of "The Imitation Game" from the library. You may find one there. It's kind of intense.

      Delete

What do you think?