Monday, February 10, 2020

Thankful Monday

I am thankful for surprise connections.

I have a Facebook account but I am definitely not a frequent poster--maybe once a year or so. However, that does not stop others from reaching out to become FB friends with me. I made one of these friend connections recently with Sam.

Sam was with me throughout most of our school years. While we were together in many of our elementary school classes, we went different ways as time progressed. If truth be told, I remember more about Sam in fifth grade drawing elaborate pictures of army tanks and airplanes than I do about him in high school. We probably had classes together, but I don't remember them.

Sam recently became a new grandfather to twin girls that he posted about on his FB page. He was quite proud and sent me a picture through Messenger as I'm sure he did many others. I made an appropriate one line comment about the babies and he replied with the standard, "What have you been up to?"

Then we chatted a bit and tried to catch up on the last 40 years. He asked me if  I had ever been to a Grateful Dead concert or to a biker rally. I answered no to both of those.  He said he had led an unfocused life and was now in constant pain from showing off too much in his younger years. We had pretty much led totally opposite lives. But that didn't seem to matter. We were still the friends we had been in fifth grade.

Then Sam said something that took me by surprise. He said that he had been blessed to get to know my father in his later years and he was a fine gentleman. He added, "He was so proud of you." I said that my father had set a good example for me and my sisters. And Sam said, "Obviously." After a few sentimental tears, I spent the rest of the day smiling about the chat I had had with Sam.

Many of the connections I make on Facebook are not much more than a distraction from other things I should be doing. But sometimes, there is a special moment like the one with Sam recently and for that I am thankful.


12 comments:

  1. What a sweet story! How kind of Sam to mention your father. It's good to hear other people's experiences with your parents. I bet it brought back happy (and wistful) memories for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about it and I didn't really see my father interact with others in his later years. He retired after I left home and I didn't see him much in his day to day life. Many people of my generation have told me how much they liked and respected my father. I always find that interesting because my father didn't like crowds and could be very reserved unless he was one on one.

      But the whole conversation made me happy. Sam was someone who hadn't made the best life choices, many I'm sure my father did not approve of, but he still made Sam feel welcome. That made me feel proud and happy that others can see some of what made my father a special man.

      Or maybe I shouldn't try to analyze it and just use your words, "It was a day of happy and wistful thoughts."

      Delete
  2. That's great, June. That would make my day, too. I think I stay on FB for opportunities like this. Obviously, I like showing off photos, but that has a lot to do with living on the west coast far from family and "old" friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do a great job with connecting back to your hometown and family in the east. Especially with the old photos you are archiving. I'm sure there are many people who are happy that you are on FB, including me.

      Delete
  3. How lovely that Sam was able to share his connection with your father and give another glimpse of your father's life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what they talked about. I don't think it was Grateful Dead concerts. :)

      Delete
  4. A very sweet post and how kind of your childhood friend to share his memories of your father.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once knew a woman who was a faithful deadhead, travelling to their concerts wherever they might be. I never liked their music much. I did look up some old boyfriends once on facebook but never contacted them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never known a true Deadhead. I always wonder how people do things like that without any obvious means of earning money. But then again, I don't know that much about the world of sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

      Delete
  6. That’s a blessing. I’ve been lucky to have at least one chat with most friends from school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I've been surprised about are the chats with the people who were just acquaintances more than friends. They have been very open with me.

      Delete

What do you think?