Sunday, January 19, 2020

Thankful Sunday--January 19, 2020

I am thankful for birds.
or more specifically, I am thankful for the entertainment they provide when they visit our feeder.

Our first birdfeeder, Ward's birthday present

If you been with me long enough, you may remember that we got our first bird feeder several years ago for Ward's birthday. I was ambivalent about the feeder and probably could have gotten along just fine without one. Or so I thought.

Soon, I was a convert. I was totally into watching the birds, their habits, and trying to learn their names. That is where Aunt Martha, our local bird expert, came in. She identified many birds for me from the pictures I sent her. Gradually I learned names and characteristics of the birds and that made watching them even more enjoyable.

We had a lot of visitors this snowy day at our previous house.

At our previous house, as the birds got to know our feeders we had quite a variety visiting including a big fuzzy grey one call a squirrel. As aggravating as it was to have the squirrels empty our feeders in one sitting, I'll have to admit it was a fun exercise trying to outsmart them.

No, the squirrel was not stuck. Just resting for a while with a full belly.

Then we moved to our new house. The birds were slower to find our feeders and the variety of birds we got was fewer. And just as traffic was beginning to pick up, we started our porch project and took down all of the feeders. We moved one to in front of a kitchen window so we could watch the birds as we were standing at the sink. It took a while for any birds to find the feeder and it's only recently that some of them will stay at the feeder if they see any movement at the sink. Right now we have two kinds of woodpeckers and house finches that visit regularly. When the porch is done, we will figure out the best way to hang feeders from it and hope that eventually we get a varied population of birds to watch. But for now, we are enjoying our finches and woodpeckers.

This was this morning at our kitchen feeder. As I approached to take the picture, I scared away several finches. While they will stay sometimes, they are still skittish.
(Too much backlighting for a good picture.)

So for the entertainment that birds have provided us in the past, today, and the entertainment they will provide in the future, I am thankful.


9 comments:

  1. Such pretty pictures! I think the most fun I have had watching birds was a couple of summers ago out west--I didn't realize how plentiful hummingbirds were in Colorado and the condo where we were staying had them swarming the feeders (and squabbling over the feeders, which was funny to watch).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that hummingbirds are very territorial, but we've never had enough at any one time to test that. We had an occasional one last summer. I'm hoping for more this year.

      Delete
  2. I love birdwatching also. I took our feeders down because the cat next door thought they were nothing but bait. I miss seeing them but am unwilling to provide the cat easy pickings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of the reasons we have indoor cats. Outside they would do just what came naturally to them and that's not something I want to watch.

      Delete
  3. I have a fondness for squirrels and was laughing at the one resting inside the bird feeder! How on earth did it get in there? Or out, for that matter?! I used to feed the birds, but, don't do so now because of the garden cats. However, I do have some brave birds who ignore the cats and frequent the garden! They hop around, intent on finding insects and seeds, seemingly oblivious of the several pairs of feline eye following their every movement! Mocking birds, humming birds, some mourning doves, and some type of finch who seems to like the cat food I put out for the cats, the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious. I love having bird feeders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that photo with the snowy background and the cardinal with other birds. That is very beautiful. I hope soon your birds will return. It's been very busy at my one feeder. Mostly chickadees, juncos and finches right now. They're so happy as they charge around the yard. I put up my feeder as entertainment for my cats. They love watching the birds, through the windows and from the contained cat yard! Cat TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeders are a great source of cat TV. I have only seen one junco this year. Usually they are over the place. This is one of the spots where they winter.

      Delete

What do you think?